Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Grand Voyager Jumps out of Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 AM
Default 1997 Grand Voyager Jumps out of Gear

My Voyager ( 3.3 petrol auto )keeps coming out of gear, when i stop, or go from reverse to drive. It only seems to do it first thing in the morning. If i stop at a junction, it stays in Drive but does not go into gear, then i have to wait, and put it in different gears, and it will eventually go in a foward gear...ANY HELP PLEASE!!

Or do need a new gear box, or just get a new car!!!

Last edited by bradleigh1977; 03-16-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 AM

I have had a leak for a while, but my trans fluid has never gone down...
The leak i can see on the floor outside my house. There is red oil around the side of the gearbox casing, the right as i look in the engine. The gasket that is behind the side of the gearbox casing looks perished. Is this a common problem? and is it the case of undoing the casing on the side of the gear box, swapping the gasket, bolting back up? if so i can do this myself.

Or is the gear box drain there and maybe thats leaking, but the gasket looks like it may have had gasket sealent on in the past....

Will i need to top up the gearbox oil? i mean will it leak out if i took the side casing off?

One more, were is the bung to put gear box oil in? i have looked everywhere!!!!!

i could take pictures of the casing if it helps?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 AM

I have just read this train after responding to your query on the Oil change thread. Please read threads thoroughly and fully before posing a question. If you ask if an oil change is applicable to your vehicle you need to either have read the thread and understood that it pertains to manual transmissions. I initially just went ahead and responded assuming that you had a manual which may well have resulted in you putting engine oil in your box....not good.

Here is a download link to a proper Chrysler workshop manual. It will answer all your questions.

http://servicemanual.blogspot.com/20...ce-manual.html

Old 03-16-2011, 04:54 AM

Sorry, no its an automatic. I wouldn't go ahead without being sure, i'm not stupid!! Thanks for the info.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 AM

I was just wondering where the gearbox oil would go in, As engine oil, washer fluid, power steering etc are all there. And when i have was checking my trans fluid, which is normal, i then looked to see whre it went in and couldnt see...

Do you know glow plug, if you can just swap the gasket on the side of the gearbox, or will that ***** up the gearbox if it came off? And is it common? or is this the first you have heard?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 AM

I have not worked on the Auto box of a Chrysler as mine is a manual. However I have worked and owned many others and with alomost no exception they have all been filled via the dipstick oil tube.

I do not know what gasket you are referring to. If it is simply the side inspection cover there should be no problem. However please consult the manual I pointed you to, It is the very same one the Chrysler tech's use so all your answers will be in there.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:06 AM

Thankyou for replying so quick

Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 AM

Ok, i have gone through the manual, and it seems that my leak maybe coming from the seal around the differential cover, or in another drawing its called the REAR COVER , which is on the right side and bottom of the gearbox, which i don't think has a gasket, it just has sealent. It says you need to remove this case if you want to get to the governer pressure.

So am i right in thinking that i can take this off, take off th old sealent and put new stuff back on, and re tighten? It wont lose hydraulic pressure or anything?

Last edited by bradleigh1977; 03-16-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: new info
Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 AM

The oil goes in through the same tube where the dipstick is. Remember, you can add oil while the engine is running or not but you can only check the level of fluid while the engine is running.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 AM

Right its the gear box sump that is leaking, the casing is just were its splashed on to it while driving. I have been under it and checked, the sealent around the sump has perished, and looks like it was done by a 2 year old anyway....SO.

I have the chrysler manual now, and read about it, so it seems i whip off the sump, take off the filter and replace, re seal the sump, screw it back on? Does anyone know how much liquid to put back in as its in quartz and i'm english and work in litres!!!

Is the changing of the gearbox oil filter as easy as above? it says about special tools, but they just seem to be hex bits, and im a builder and have all them.

Bradleigh

Quick Reply: 1997 Grand Voyager Jumps out of Gear