Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

1999 Grand Voyager(EU) 2.5Td, Power loss after 2000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Default 1999 Grand Voyager(EU) 2.5Td, Power loss after 2000rpm

Hello guys, I am writing here to ask for help on my GV it has this problem of feeling hesitation at 2000rpm, and consumption has gone up considerably. At first it has been doing this but I had been turning it off and start again and running fine. I am kinda DIY guy but need to know what might be the issue, I am thinking it is a turbo not working as required.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 AM

Hello guys if anyone having a knowledge or have a repair manual for 1999 Grand voyager european model with Vm 2.5 Td engine help ,e find it. Either electronic or book will be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM

It's your number one injector. Measure the resistance between the two pins on the plug. It should be around 93ohms any higher an it is knackered. But I can guarantee it is the problem. I recently got one off eBay for £50. Used of course but working.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM

With diesels the #1 cause of heavy fuel consumption is clogged/worn injectors. Be interesting to know what you find is causing the problem. Many years ago I saw an expert testing my injectors with a little machine where he had to crank a handle to force diesel fuel though an injector. Bad ones dribbled neat diesel all the time, good ones produced what looked exactly like a puff of smoke on each turn of the handle.

Leedsman.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 PM

You are missing the point here. The REASON this is causing an issue is because there is a sensor in the number one injector. It has the square root of sweet fanny Adams to with pop testing the injector (yes that machine he was using is called a POP tester).

When the pulse sensor in the injector goes bad the ECU stops receiving a signal from it and then puts the car into LIMP mode and that is what is limiting it to 2000 rpm . It is a very well known problem.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 AM

As it was many years ago, the hand cranked tester would be testing a passive injector at about 2,500 lbs/square inch. Such a tester could not test a modern injector as it runs at approx. 25,000lbs/square inch pressure, and needs a suitable current pulse for solenoid injectors, or a suitable voltage pulse for piezoelectrics to open the pintle. There is no criticism of the veracity of your analysis Glowplug.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 11-05-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Hi did you sort out your power loss after 2000 revs problem, as my GV seems to be behaving in similar manner, the engine has gone very rattly also, when its misbehaving.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:47 PM

Have you bothered to do the simple test I outlined above ???????????????

There are primarily three common issues that cause the problem

1. and most common, the number 1 injector sensor
2. a problem with the turbo (can be as simple as a split pipe or damaged inter-cooler)
3. A blocked fuel filter

But as 1 can be VERY easily diagnosed with a simple multimeter why not start there?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 PM

have changed 1 injector for the spare i carry with me, with no effect. both original and spare injector read 104 ohm. changed fuel filter and have had trouble with split intercoolers before on voyagers, both made rushing air noise so don't suspect that. and as problem sometimes goes away for a while after restarting, so presume it is electronic. have noticed if i disconnect 1 injector whilst is ticking over the knocking noise gets loader same noise as when its running its worst. the knocking noise that first alerted me to have a major issue. the car seems to run okish from cold then lack of power and knocking sort of comes and goes with different intensities. am going to look at EGR tomorrow, again, but have already changed controller and disconnected it few times with no effect.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 AM

You did not read my advice properly above where I clearly state that anything above 93 ohms is too high. Both your injectors are knackered so you are wasting your time swapping one for the other. Your problem lies there I can guarantee it.

Before you buy another make sure you get the car breaker to measure the resistance or go there and do it yourself.

Quick Reply: 1999 Grand Voyager(EU) 2.5Td, Power loss after 2000rpm