Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Town and Country Limited hesitation stumble

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Default 1999 Town and Country Limited hesitation stumble

I have a 1999 T&C Limited 3.8 that has a hesitation or stumbles when starting form a stop. It will also have a hesitation once in a while when driving below 2000 rpm. I hav replaced the EGR and cleared the codes. The curent problem is not coding, no check engine light on. Transmission rebuilt about 30,000 ago. It runs great at highway speeds and shifts normally even with the hesitation. Engine has about 220k on it.

Any assistance would be great...

Old 01-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

what were the codes?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Default Codes

There are no codes now, its not giving any. It had a code for the EGR, I replaced it and cleared the code. It hasn't given any new codes and still running as described. It seems to run worse as it warms up. Anything above 2000 rpm it runs fine.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

there is and never will be any codes that will diagnose a car for you.
The codes are there aid in the diagnosis of an issue so unless you are familiar with the system or trained to diagnose the issue your simply guessing at what needed to be done.

What were the code numbers that were given?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:16 AM
Default codes

There was one code that I don't recall the number on it. I looked it up and it was for the EGR. I checked the EGR and it was rusted and dirty so I replaced it and cleared the code. The car hasn't had the check engine light come on and no other codes have come up even with it running the way it does.

I am not waiting for the car to code to try and diagnose what the problem is. I was simply asking for a direction to go because of someone else that has had the same problem. I have read that it could be an ignition module.

I haven't been able to locate any other posts that state what would fix this issue.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:54 PM

Might be something helpful here: Problem Engine Hesitation

Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 AM

Just something that springs to mind. Can I ask, when did you last change the spark plugs, and did you do it yourself or was it done at a garage?

The reason I'm asking is because that is what my 98 GV started doing a few months after I bought it. However, I ignored the plugs because I had a folder full of recipients from the previous owner for new plugs every 12 months and looking at the front 3 its was obvious they had been changed recently. However, eventually I give in and managed to pull the rear plugs only to find they had not been charged in years even though there were recipients there to say the last owner had been charged for replacements. I don't even know how they fired at all. Anyway, new plugs and problem solved.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Default T&C

Thanks Raptor 07 I will be checking on that.

Vonhofinvule I havent done anything with the plugs yet, I'll pull and check them. Thanks

I just finished rebuilding the manual trans in my Ranger so now I can get to working on this one.

Thanks for all the responses

Old 02-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Default still

Ok, I am still having the problem. I gaped and replaced the plugs, no difference. Old plugs looked pretty good.

So I have a new EGR, new plugs, and no codes on OBD check.

Still have to do a check for a vacuum leak. I ran another OBD check and recorded a video of it (can't attach video). Still no codes.

Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 AM

I think as you have already had an EGR fault code appear you should next investigate the MAF sensor if fitted as the symptoms for both are quite similar. Also with a faulty MAF you will get incorrect readings sometimes causing the engine to misfire or run lean.

Quick Reply: 1999 Town and Country Limited hesitation stumble