Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

1999 voyager 2.5td cuts out while driving (yup another one !!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Default 1999 voyager 2.5td cuts out while driving (yup another one !!)

Well hello everyone New to owning a voyager (1999 LE 2.5td) picked it up 24 hours ago ... and it cut on me today ! DOH !

Drove about 70 miles in different trips with no issues however I ha no interior lights or electric mirrors ... finally checked the fuse box under the bonnet and found out there wasn't a fuse in it ! popped a new 15a fuse (according to lid of fuse box it was 15 amps) and suddenly interior light and mirrors again !! lovely !!

However in the next 20 miles I did it cut out on me three times .. two roundabouts and a sharp(ish) left bend ... each time sudden cut out with the glowplug coil on the top dash flashing (and no power steering or brake servos) .... dropped clutch and restarted while coasting with no issues ....

So .. is this a coincidence or is there a possibility that there is a ground fault / electrical short interfering here ?

If it continues to cut out tomorrow I will remove the fuse and test it ...

But all thoughts and experiences welcome !! HELP !!! please

Only other thing that doesn't work is the remote keyfob ... popped new batteries in tried the unlock 6 times but no joy .. .so manual unlocking for me for now !

thanks !

Iain

ps yes I did search the forum .. but nothing quite matched it ! (please don't let it be the fuel pump ...lol )

Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 AM

Years ago I had similar problem but it wasn't a voyager it was '95 Vision. But the reason for cutting off might be the same.
On my Vision it was camshaft position sensor malfunction - intermittent. The OBD Scan tool said that there is no signal from cam sensor and therefore the computer cut the engine off to prevent further damage. Cheap and easy to replace. But check your error codes first!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Right quick update .. did the trip and reset buttons and it came straight back with 55 which I think is the end of the error sequence ?

Hasn't cut out at all today ... however thinking about it only difference is that I had the headlights on .. and that the radio cuts out if turned up too much .. also the rear interior lights are fairly dim .... would a ground issue cause this ? Possibly if there weren't enough power to the fuel cut off solenoid ?

Any ideas welcome ???

Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 PM

mm just for closure on this one !

Had my very very good local garage service the voyager .. oil, air and fuel .. plus a full check over .. for a very reasonable price

Since then the mpg has been creeping up .. and no more cutting out !! They did reckon Noah's signature was on the fuel filter from just before he got on the ark though .....

just the anti roll bar links, bushes and the front engine mount to go !!!