Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Voyager se No internal lights? help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Default 1999 Voyager se No internal lights? help!

Hey there, well here goes!

I have just bought a Voyager SE 2.5 TD 1999,

I have NO HORN? NO Internal lights? NO main beam headlights only dipped work at the moment.

My wife being the superstar she is has managed to find a manual/service guide for a 98 Voyager, which so far has helped me to get power to the glow plugs, (the relay had corroded and was u/s plus all connectors had disintergrated).

From what I can gather from taking the connectors off of the horns the green/red wire goes to a relay connector next to the glow plug relay, but there is NO relay there??

I honestly dont know where its gone as i've only had the car two days so far and it wasnt there when i first opened the bonnet?!?

But the thing thats puzzling me the most at the moment is there are no internal lights working, have pulled a few bulbs and they all seem fine, doesn't seem to be any power getting there, am i right in thinking that the internal lights should come on when you open the drivers door? or if you've left the headlights on and then open the door you should hear a warning sound?

Any help would be greatly received as I need to get the car through the MOT to put it on the road because we have 5 children and a two week school holiday is upon us!!! you can see my dliema!

Many thanks

Wayne and Valerie

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Voyager se No internal lights? help!-front.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Do you have cruise control? If so does this work? Is the airbag light on? These is a clock spring recall that could be your horn fault.
Does the light switch click and main beam warning light work?
Have you checked the dimmer switch is not turn all the way down as this will tun off the interior light

Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 AM

thank you merlin for the reply (was beginning to think I was on my own in here! lol) I hit a point yesterday where I thought this was all over my head and the wiring diagrams look like they're written in an alien language, so I phoned a local auto electrician to see if they could help, and he told me to bring it in on monday to which I agreed, I nearly dropped the phone tho when he told me their hourly rate (£42.50!!! I spent nearly 12hours on these things so far banging my head against a wall I can afford to pay somebody else to bang theirs against a wall!!!) I would rather avoid taking it to him but if I can't fix it myself then I'll have to!

where abouts in england are you merlin lol!!!

doesnt have cruise control that i'm aware of? how could i check that?

the airbag light is on,

the dimmer switch isn't all the way down, have turned it all the way up and still no lights?!

by switch i take it you mean the stick control behind the steering wheel, if so then yes a nice juicey click as for does the light come on the dash for main beam i'll have to get back to you on that one.

Also forgot to mention rear fog lamps are not functioning but i've not yet checked that state of the bulbs so that could be an easy fix i hope

Wayne and Valerie

BTW I don't know if this might be connected but when you put the ignition on you hear two chimes well spaced apart, if you turn the ignition on without a seatbelt on then you hear 5 chimes then a gap then the 2 chimes? anybody know either what they signify or how they can be stopped? thanks again

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM

I have been to scrap yard and have found out that mine does not have cruise control!

big controls missing on the steering wheel kinda gave that one away! doh!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Hi
I am in Devon if that helps, If the air bag light is on call your dealer to see if the recall is outstanding and if so get this fixed for free. Let me know when you have done the other checks and I will help you before you go elsewhere.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 AM

update for today...

bypassed the clockspring and pressed the horn and wahey! it works, gonna ring the main dealer in the morning, the nearest one to me is only 26 miles away!

checked on the chrysler website and entered in the VIN number to find that my clock spring DOES need to be changed! that should save a few £'s

fog lights work (stupidity on my part!), didn't know how to operate the switch properly, have clued up now and I can confirm I am now fully qualified to turn them on! lol

took the steering housing off and found that somebody has been busy in there! there is a switch you have to push before the car will start (clutch depress switch i guess)

not only that there is a feed taken from the red wire from the multifunction switch that goes to the bcm and is piggy backed off of the live feed to one of the fuses and off of another relay in there then these wires go to a mini relay that somebody has tucked inside the side trim?? I ain't go a clue whats going on there!

I put a jumper cable on the relay next to the battery to create a circuit to the main beam head light and they came on, (well i'm only guessing i've hit the right relay because the lights came on, the manual I have doesn't have my power distribution center in it and the car doesn't have the cover for it!)

other than that when i get to the car the next day the battery is always dead! constant drain somewhere, gonna have to take it to the auto electrician tomorrow to get whatever somebody has done under there taken out and the main beam lights to work. ouchh! I just hope it doesn't take them that long!!

all i want them to do is to fix the main beam lights, interior lights and the constant drain! doesn't seem that hard for a pro does it! lol 10 minute job i'd say! hahaha

I have printed (well my wife has) off documentation from the chrysler web site stating that my vehicle needs the clockspring replacing and that chrysler will refund them (diagnosis, parts and labour), so hopefully no charge there THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP MERLIN!

will check back when the auto electrician has took his piece of the pie! lol

Wayne and Valerie

Old 04-05-2009, 12:47 PM

"not only that there is a feed taken from the red wire from the multifunction switch that goes to the bcm and is piggy backed off of the live feed to one of the fuses and off of another relay in there then these wires go to a mini relay that somebody has tucked inside the side trim?? I ain't go a clue whats going on there!"

Sometimes people put in an extra switch that must be depressed to start the car as a theft deterrent. My son's Oldsmobile came that way. It was a little push button on the B pillar. Nowadays, they are installing shutoffs that the bank can activate if you fail to keep up payments. These things never show up on the manufacturer's wiring diagrams.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Sometimes people put in an extra switch that must be depressed to start the car as a theft deterrent. My son's Oldsmobile came that way. It was a little push button on the B pillar. Nowadays, they are installing shutoffs that the bank can activate if you fail to keep up payments. These things never show up on the manufacturer's wiring diagrams.
looks as though it's come up from where the clutch switch should be? when i was looking through the scrap yard I never saw another car there with a switch on the steering column, if I were to take a guess here I would say that the switch on the clutch had broken at some point and has been replaced by this switch on the steering column.

the thing is there are two switches, one that doesn't seem to do anything and one that has to be pressed to start the car, I don't mind the one being there to start the car but I need to eliminate the other one from the equasion its just another thing that could be the cause of my problems.

btw MERLIN
I have checked and when you click the lights on to main beam you dont get the warning light on in the dash or any lights in front of the vehicle at all!

Wayne and Valerie

Old 04-06-2009, 03:32 AM

well dropped it off at the auto elecricians, gave him three things to sort,

main beam headlights, constant drain on battery, and take out whatever that extra mini relay thats been bodged in.

will keep you guys posted on what they find

gonna ring main dealer and book it in for the clockspring now,

Wayne and Valerie

Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM

well got the voyager back from the auto electricians this afternoon,

there was a wiring fault on the drivers side headlamp, again someone had been playin with the wiring!! cost me over £100 to fix

two hours labour and parts (new plugs etc...), well not got the interior lights fixed though, would have taken more time and evidently more £'ss

so i guess i'll need to try to sort them myself,

anyone know where i could begin?

car is booked into chrysler garage for wednesday morning

Quick Reply: 1999 Voyager se No internal lights? help!