Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2.8 CRD oil overfilled.....now leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Default 2.8 CRD oil overfilled.....now leaking

Hi

Had an oil and filter change done at a local garage a month ago. About a week ago I noticed a slight oil leak from the right (timing belt) side of the engine.

It only seems to leak when the engine is running. Its not a big leak....1 or 2 drops under it when i park it after a long run.

Checked oil level and to my horror found it had been overfilled by the garage significantly......... Above the max mark by 1/4 inch. So i have some questions!

1. Could the leak be from the front crankshaft oil seal or camshaft oil seal?

2. Could this have been caused by overpressure due to the oil overfill?

3. If it is the crankshaft oilseal (as I suspect) is it likely to contaminate the timing belt and cause premature breakage?

4. When the oil level is drained to its correct level is the leak likely to stop?

I can't tell you how furious I am that a garage managed to overfill during an oil change.....This level of ineptitude is staggering.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi

1. could be both.
2. of course
3. no. timing belt is not oil sensitive.
4. hopefuly

one way to get rid of excess oil, you can take the oil filter down, drain it and put it back on. it's better if you have a garage near by that can suck the oil out through dipstick tube. or if you have the materials, you can use a long plastic tube and a surrenge, also through the dipstick tube.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Hi
More likely a loose or leaking oil filter.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Hi
Or something like that... yes these place over fill and you have to check them lke a hawk but a 1/4" past full does not seem like that much. typically the line between low and full is a quart. To half the distance between the marks meas half a quart low. So I would imagine that it is a 1/4 quart over full.

Another scenario is your injectors are not closing properly and you are pumping diesel into the oil. This happens on some US diesel trucks here in the US. My brother in law would "make oil" as it is called here. After a 200 mile trip he would be over full by a 1/2 quart. Had to get all his injectors replaced on his Duramax.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Hi

Hi Merlin,

That was the first thing I checked (had an oil filter work loose a few years ago after a service) and it is on good and tight with no sign of leaks.

I've been underneath with the under engine tray removed and it looks like the oil is coming from the cam belt end.....but I'll have to take the timing belt cover off to get a better idea.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 AM

They don't suffer from oil leaks from the front of the engine as a rule. I have never done one.