Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2000 T & C Random Surging / Almost Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Default 2000 T & C Random Surging / Almost Stalls

Update:

2000 Chrysler T and C
110,000 miles
3.8L, Auto
LXi model

The random no start condition has not reoccurred for quite some time. Now the situation has changed somewhat; the vehicle randomly starts surging and almost stalls. Here are the conditions:

Idle;(750 to 1000 RPM), engine warm or moderately warm - When placed in gear rpm's swing by up to 400 rpm both ways. Engine almost stalls, then races. Timing swings from 7 degrees to 23 degrees.

Getting onto the on ramp the other day, after a moderate amount of time for engine cool down (approx 30 minutes from normal operation temp) the engine had intake backfire two or three times, then ran fine.

90 Percent of the time, it runs fine. Other times, does this randomly. Using an Actron scanner and looking at rpms and spark advance PID's is where my info comes from. Need a better scanner, the frame rates are too slow....

Shows no codes in the Actron Scanner, set or pending....

My thoughtsare:fuel pump, crank/camsensor, ECM.

Since the problem is intermittent, this would seem to rule out the plugs, wires,fuel filter, and vacuum leaks. Might be the EGR though, but it seems odd this would occur randomly at idle conditions. Idle air controller would throw a code.....

Fuel pump might be intermittent, but I have no TSB's that show failure occurring at this mileage. Will check with an installed gauge, but it's hard to get the vehicle for that long....

Any thoughts?

Fred

Old 01-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Default RE: 2000 T & C Random Surging / Almost Stalls

Any one have any thoughts on this?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:32 PM
moe

Awhile back they had problems with the TPS,heres the tsb #18-008-02.heres the revised #on the TPS,04686360ab.its sounds like thats whats happening.moe.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM

Thanks Moe! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 PM
moe

cool

Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 AM

Well, Alldata swears that this tsb doesn't apply. We've tried several times to get them to send it, but they only said "no" and then said they will extend the subscription for 30 days for free, since they can't find it....

PS. Here's their reply.....

Unfortunately, the information you requested is not available in our database. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Your comments have been forwarded to our database team for further review as part of a continuing effort to improve our product.

Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. Please continue to share your comments and concerns.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
moe

fred that tsb is for that year veh.it may not apply to your car because ofyour vin number

Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 PM

Hi Moe

When posting TSB, most people use alldata. You and I use Techconnect. So the information we send may not be the same on alldata. I am not a big fan of alldata. But you are right, Don't use the vin number.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Thanks guys! Getting it back today and will be able to really look into it. Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: 97K15004WD

Update:

2000 Chrysler T and C
110,000 miles
3.8L, Auto
LXi model

The random no start condition has not reoccurred for quite some time. Now the situation has changed somewhat; the vehicle randomly starts surging and almost stalls. Here are the conditions:

Idle;(750 to 1000 RPM), engine warm or moderately warm - When placed in gear rpm's swing by up to 400 rpm both ways. Engine almost stalls, then races. Timing swings from 7 degrees to 23 degrees.

Getting onto the on ramp the other day, after a moderate amount of time for engine cool down (approx 30 minutes from normal operation temp) the engine had intake backfire two or three times, then ran fine.

90 Percent of the time, it runs fine. Other times, does this randomly. Using an Actron scanner and looking at rpms and spark advance PID's is where my info comes from. Need a better scanner, the frame rates are too slow....

Shows no codes in the Actron Scanner, set or pending....

My thoughtsare:fuel pump, crank/camsensor, ECM.

Since the problem is intermittent, this would seem to rule out the plugs, wires,fuel filter, and vacuum leaks. Might be the EGR though, but it seems odd this would occur randomly at idle conditions. Idle air controller would throw a code.....

Fuel pump might be intermittent, but I have no TSB's that show failure occurring at this mileage. Will check with an installed gauge, but it's hard to get the vehicle for that long....

Any thoughts?

Fred
Okay, here's what we found. The original diagnosis was correct. The vehicle began the missing and running rich immediately upon start-up, while cold. This meant the ECM was in open loop mode, and as such, ruled outthe HO2S. This left the ECM, the CMP, the CKP, the MAP, and the TPS as the intial culprits. We had already ruled out the fuel pump and the filter with the pressure test set.

Upon further scanning, we narrowed it down to the CKP / CMP. We replaced the CKP first (swore it would be the one!), and this did not fix the problem. We then replaced the CMP, and this solved the problem.

The vehicle started up and exhibited the same problems initially, but only for a short time. It got better quickly; the plugs may have been fouled by the overly rich mixture.

The vehicle now has 45 miles drive time on it, and the problem has not reappeared.

We intend to Seafoam it, and replace one questionable vaccuum line. We will continue to post info here as we get more on this vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2000 T & C Random Surging / Almost Stalls