Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2002 T&C ECM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Default 2002 T&C ECM Replacement

Hi All,

New to the forum. Seems great here!

We have a 2002 T&C LX with 125K. Took it for NY inspection and the mechanic told us he couldn't pass it since the check engine light was on. Also told us the ECM is bad. He tried to reset it but he couldn't. I knew there was a problem as I took it to AutoZone when the check engine light first came on. Their reader gave a P0601 "Internal Control Module Error" code. I asked around and was told that since the car runs fine, I really didn't need to replace it immediately.

Now that the car won't pass inspection, I need to do something about it.

I searched around the net and found that I can get a replacement that is re-manufactured for around $160. I have to give the VIN and mileage as well as the old Part number. The say it will then be a plug and play.

Sounds good so far.

Some questions:

1) Where is the old one located and how hard is it to replace? I'm pretty handy mechanically but not a pro.

2) Anything I need to be careful about when buying one one line? Any vendors to keep away from?

3) I called one vendor and they said it's easy to change it out. Just unplug the battery, take out the old one, install replacement and re-connect the battery.

4) Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bob

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM

ive never replaced 1 but it looks easy to replace. its right infront of the battery. the headlight needs to b removed too tho.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by kdm3170
ive never replaced 1 but it looks easy to replace. its right infront of the battery. the headlight needs to b removed too tho.

Thanks very much! That answers the mechanical part of my question.

I sure hope someone else here is familiar with this since I'd really hate to spend the $ and not end up with a fixed vehicle!

Thanks again for the assistance! I really appreciate it!!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Dont get a used one buy one from the dealer or some place that remans them

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
Dont get a used one buy one from the dealer or some place that remans them
OK. I was planning on getting one from autocomputerexchange.net. Anyone know if they are legit? They offer a 1 year warranty or you can but a 2 year ($50) or lifetime ($100) warranty.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM

ACE is one of the more common sources you'll read about on forums. I don't recall any horror stories. Over the years I have read of a handful requiring a second replacement PCM from them but the majority don't have a problem. AutoZone also sells them for around $250. BBB is one site that repairs yours and sends it back.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 01-16-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
ACE is one of the more common sources you'll read about on forums. I don't recall any horror stories. Over the years I have read of a handful requiring a second replacement PCM from them but the majority don't have a problem. AutoZone also sells them for around $250. BBB is one site that repairs yours and sends it back.
Thanks Raptor . . . . that make me a but more comfortable.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Sorry for the two posts but . . . .

Some guys I was talking to said that the ECM has to be "flashed" after installation (hooked to a DRB or DRB2 to "flash it"). The vendor says its "plug and play" once they send it to me (they require VIN, mileage and part number off unit currently in the car). I'd hate to buy and install the part and then find that the car doesn't run or won't start.

I don't think I can use BBB as we don't have a spare car and the wife needs it every day. Thanks for pointing out that there is an option!

Thanks again for the help and information!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:12 PM

from wat i can see it will need to b programmed while on the vehicle. the module that does the keyless entry n the anti theft has to b told to send codes to the ecm/pcm and from the sounds of it the car will b useless untill its been done.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by kdm3170
from wat i can see it will need to b programmed while on the vehicle. the module that does the keyless entry n the anti theft has to b told to send codes to the ecm/pcm and from the sounds of it the car will b useless untill its been done.
WOW . . . didn't think about that one! It has keyless entry but no anti-theft (alarm).

Thanks for pointing this out! Gotta call the vendor to ask about these issues.

Where can I get access to a device to program the ECM?

Quick Reply: 2002 T&C ECM Replacement