Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 T & C Passanger side blowing hot air

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Default 2002 T & C Passanger side blowing hot air

2002 Chrysler Town & Country
3.8L FWD

The A/C works good but the passenger side keeps blowing hot air. It works fine most of the time but every once in a while the passenger side stays hot when adjusted to cold A/C. The driver side works fine, only happens on the passenger side. Because the driver side blows cold I'm pretty sure it is the blend door for the passenger side automatic climate control.

Could it be a the temperature sensor or is it the blend door actuator or something else all together?

Thank you... Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

U have low freon more then likely a leak some where causing it

Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Default Passenger side hot the rest ice cold.

As i said, the driver side works fine and is cold as well as the rear of the van. Unless there is a completely different A/C unit for the passenger side, which I'm pretty sure there is not, I do not see how it could be low freon and still be ice cold in all other vents except for the passenger side. It happens once in a while. Usually after it was used, like in the morning for heat, then turned to cold latter in the day. It does not change from blowing hot. Passenger side just stays blowing the heater while the rest of the van is blowing nice cold air.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Would u tike me to go into the physics of an ac system on your van?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM

I asked because I want to know. If it is a freon leak then I would like know how it is working in this manner.

Please explain to me how it could be cold on one side and hot the other. Are there two different evaporators under my dash that has it's own closed system apart from the drivers side and that is why it is a freon leak just for the passenger side? I was under the impression that the whole system shared the freon as well as the compressor and condenser. Or is it that because it shares the freon there isn't enough to go around and that is why the one evaporator is not pulling the heat out of the air into the freon?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

ok here we go The evaporators on this van has the inlet and outlet on the top half so freons basic matter is to absorb heat as air passes across the evaporator and what comes out on the other side is the same air just lack of heat this is what U feel coming out the vents. The way the air is controls looking at it from an upper and lower stand point the driver side air is blow across the upper half and the pass side is the lower half. SO if the freon that is in the evap has absorbed all the heat it can there is nothing to absorb the heat from the lower have and this is why one side is hot and the other side is cold. I have had to argue with this issue more then 100X with my service writers when I worked at the dealer for 15 years. DO u have a rear ac system try it as well see if there is enough in there for that one to work. U have 2.88 lbs in the whole system one whole pound missing and U get this issue. Look for a leak on the lower pass side of the ac condenser it will look wet at the corner if it does there your real issue fix that and your are in good shape.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:07 PM

Well I have the opposite problem on my 1999 T&C Limited, I do not get heat on the passenger side (no matter what the temp setting is on the control unit), only cold air...pretty sure that the freon level has nothing to do with it :-) thinking the blend door actuator is the culprit. Thoughts??

Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM

i also had this happen in my 06 t and c one time last year... but only for one day ! and only after i picked it up at shop for an alignment check !! ?? a/c was cold as ice everywhere except the driver side vent...air was almost warm there.... mechanic told me it was most likely a lazy door or actuator sticking and just to keep eye on it, sometimes they free up ... next day it was fine and has been ever since... crazy

Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

do u have duel air temp for pass temp for driver?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 AM

Yep DUAL temp on the 1999 T&C Limited. Well has rear air too, but yes passenger has separate temp control from driver

Quick Reply: 2002 T & C Passanger side blowing hot air