Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2002 Voyager Automatic Gearbox Problem - Transmission

Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Default 2002 Voyager Automatic Gearbox Problem - Transmission

Hi.
I'm having a big trouble with fixing my '02 Voyager's automatic transmission. Here's what's happening with my car:
- If I would put it on reverse gear - everything seems quiet, light and just healthy.
- But when I'll put the 'Drive' gear on it would suddenly jerk the car. It would drive but continue on reading;
- It won't change to the second gear (I have tried on stands also)
- After driving for 20 seconds (without changing a gear - since it can't) it would stop pulling the car (the tranny).
- I have to also point out that if the car is on stands it would pull normally (doesn't stop) but without changing the gear (as mentioned before).

Now here is what I've done in order to try to repair the transmission:
- whole rebuild of the gearbox (the gears inside were broken)
- shift solenoid pack
- input & output sensors
- after all that - detected and repaired following codes using Torque Pro on android:
* P0732 - Powertrain (Gear 2 Incorrect Ration)
* P0700 - Powertrain (Transmission Control System [MIL Request])
- after that - borrowed a professional tool to check codes but it didn't have the 'K-13' but still checked the codes and deleted:
* (can't remember the code) but it said - Transmission failed immediately after changing the gear
... the tool also shows that I'm not anymore in the Limp-in mode and it also says that I'm in the 2nd gear! - but that's the time when the tranny doesn't pull anymore.

What I should note also:
- the gearbox oil level (when cold) is on the HOT line! (there's too much oil, but I don't know if that matters)
- the car couldn't start after repairing the gearbox but replacement of the gas filter helped.

I don't want to give it to anyone to fix it since I've got the same problem with my other two cars, and I can't fix the problem in none of them.
What could be the problem? Electronics? Torque controller?

By the way. If you need a video on how the vehicle behaves with this transmission problem I can post a video on some site so you can watch it!

Thanks in advance!
John

Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 AM

Sounds like you have a real heavy problem there Jan. For the record, there's too much ATF in my box, but the operation is not affected in respect to general function: But I do have an oddity in changing which is intermittent -- just now and again it tries to change from 1st to 2nd., but acts as if I've taken my foot off the pedal. A waggle of the pedal fixes this. Experimentally, I waggle the pedal every time during gear change, -- no fault! And I'm talking a tiny waggle here. If I select neutral the pedal acts completely normally when I rev. it. Wierd.

Leedsman.
p.s. Just a thought -- is the ATF pump in the gearbox worn out? Or any fluid pressure controllers in the pressurized circuit got grit in them, rendering them useless?

Last edited by Leedsman; 05-03-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Addition.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:16 PM

@Leedsman
Thanks. I'll check it soon.

Update:
After lowering the car on stands, unplugging the battery for 15 min then clearing up the faults I could finally feel that there's no Limp-in mode anymore - it went very smoothly into the 1st gear from neutral. I managed to change to 3rd gear - the speed went from 45km/h to 95km/h on 2500 RPM. I couldn't get it on the 4th gear. After that the Limp-in mode engaged again (jerked the car).
Now, another code showed up:

Does this mean that I rebuilt the tranny improperly - especially gear 2 and 4? OR could this be just the fluid?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:20 PM

If the image doesn't work I'll put in the link:
http://janmurawski.cba.pl/pictures/voyager/fault1.jpg

Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 AM

Again, just for the record, all the good old boy mechanics say if there is any kind of trouble with an auto-box, change the fluid and then see. The ATF change should be the first thing to rule out. The original fluid may be aeriated and all foamy, apart from being burnt. It could have debris from the clutches/brake bands. If it's old fluid, the additives will have lost effect. Makes sense to change it.

Leedsman.