Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2002 voyager stalls , wont start

Old 04-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Default 2002 voyager stalls , wont start

Ok heres the deal 2002 Voyager 3.3.
My van stalled on me the other night while driving.
When turning the ignition the starter will not turn over. (just like if it were in reverse or drive.)
But when I wire around the neutral switch the starter will turn but it still will not fire.
Does anyone know what the five wires on the neutral switch are for?
I need to find out if the neutral switch is capable shutting down ignition or the fuel circut if it fails.
Is there any cracker jack mech. who has seen this problem before?
I am hoping that i do not have an ecm problem,but seems its my last resort if the Neutral switch is good.
I have checked the battery and alternator they are good.
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Old 04-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2002 voyager stalls , wont start

where is this switch located ,the new RS minivans dont have nutural safety switches.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Well it looks like it may be the EMC have any ideas on how to get a hold of a used one ?
These things are running $750 new i saw some on ebay for 150 but cant decide if i should try good ole ebay or not!

Matt

Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

u cant get a used one the vin number is burnt into the PCM. DO u have a gray key?? if so then if u install a udes pcm the van will not start because of the skim system. Sence 99 chryslers computers have been vary pickey about swapping or installing used computers. Dont jump to a PCM just yet unless u like to spend money.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 AM

No, no grey key I have a plain jane no luxury van. (power nothing)...The nuetral switch i was talking about before was looked at by my service guy but he gave up on fixing it "said he didnt have time to look too deep into it without help"
So now im just trying to figure it out myself. Im not a auto mech but I do have some knowledge in the field.
I can tell you I went over everything i can think of right now. I did want to find out if there is a feature in the neutral switch that will knock out ignition if it goes bad for any reason like if the car is in D-drive if not only does it hold the starter from turning but in turn drops out the ignition as well. Not only that I found a cheesy alarm system under the dash last night when i finally got it to my house. I never knew this was there I dont have an arming system for it or have I never heard it sound off but I can say that the little red LED that is attached to the dash went out on my last night when I was under there messing around.

Matt

Old 04-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

like i said b4 i dont think u have a nutural safety switch what does it look like and were was it located engine ,tranny firewall what? I would start with the aftermarket alarm system see what they tapped into and stuff

Old 04-28-2007, 04:07 PM

I wasnt able to find the nuetral switch anyway, I wasnt able to find out from the guy looking at it what he was talking about. I did pull the starter relay and jumped the circut , the starter turned but no fire from the engine. I think i will check the plug wires to see if theres any spark there. I reply back later.
The alarm on the other hand is giving me a fit , its doing all sorts of crazy things. I unhooked it and its even worse.

older vehicles were so much easier Spark Gas Compressions and it runs.
Ahh the good ole days.

Matt

Old 04-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Ok I found a little more out. When I unhook the alarm system all the lights around the gear sift selector light up.
But still nothing happens. Also there is a small black box type deal under the dash behind the hood release latch, it has a red retainer latch and when I take that block out (looks like a circut completer) it does the same thing, could this be a factory alarm option?
And what in the circut allows the key to turn the engine if there is no neutral safety switch?
Will the computer even keep the engine from turning?
I'm leaning towards fixing with a stick of TNT!!!

Matt

Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

a factory alarm will not be under the dash it will be built into a main computer. Need to remove the non factory alarm first of all see what they have wired into and cut and resplice them back to matching colors they usualy cut an ign feed and splice it into the alarm box with a ground or so. Once that is done and u got it all hoocked back up to factory then go from there and see what u are missing either fuel,spark or computer control from the starter sence u jumped the relay we know the starter and wires up to the relay are good.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:11 AM

Gotcha i know its not a factory alarm. As for the starter relay Its not reacting to any key movements the clicking i heard was from the Accessary relay. I discovered that last night, A friend of mine who got back from vacation last night came over, get this same year van same # computer....what are the chances??? But anyway I pulled them both out and played musical computers mine is fine as well as his...
But anyway I have the alarm subdued for now I will try a new ignition switch tommorrow and post my findings.
Thanks

Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 voyager stalls , wont start