Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 2.8 CRD cambelt change

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:56 PM

How long did it take you guys ro do this

Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 AM

Are you saying that the camshaft sprockets can be removed once the camshafts are locked in place, without the special tool and you just refit them and install the belt before locking them back on the shaft?

To answer the question about how long, in an unfit condition it took me a day and a half. If your fit and started early you should be able to do this is a day, but assume a long day.

Vince.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by vince
Are you saying that the camshaft sprockets can be removed once the camshafts are locked in place, without the special tool and you just refit them and install the belt before locking them back on the shaft?

To answer the question about how long, in an unfit condition it took me a day and a half. If your fit and started early you should be able to do this is a day, but assume a long day.

Vince.
Yes, with the camshafts locked in place, it doesn't matter how you put the pulleys back on as they are not keyed. As long as the crank and the fuel pump are also aligned correctly, it's all good. Don't fully tighten the pulleys with the locking pins in place as they may not take the tightening torque needed and might snap. I tightened the pulley bolts as much as I dared by hand with the pins in place, then removed the pins and fully tightened the bolts while holding the pulley.

In terms of time, yes, it's a day. I'd say 1.5-2 hrs to strip it down to where you can see the belt, i.e. belt cover removed. Changing the belt less than an hour, and then reassemble. I took plenty of breaks so not in a hurry. Replacing the water pump which requires the removal of the back plate of the timing belt cover and the camshaft pulleys took me another couple of 1.5 hours. Not really that difficult if you're used to working on cars, but definitely some tedious bits.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:48 AM

Fantastic thread.
I'm getting documented as I can change time belt.

Some Questions:

1) Do not release the camshaft gears:
In the case I decide to change belt only, not water pump, not tensioner pulley, I ask if I can avoid to release the camshaft gears. In other word, I would to
set all pin,
lock all pulleys (and mark all their positions),
pull the tensioner,
remove the belt,
insert new belt,
relese the tensioner.
Can this procedure work good? If I respect all pulleys positions, and do not release the camshaft gears, there is the risk to get everything out of timing. Or is a foudamental step that to release the camshaft gears?

2) tight the camshaft gears:
If I do, It seems a critical step.

I see this:
http://www.beesvillebeefarm.com/jpgs...0belt%2053.JPG

this:
51.48 minute

and this:
6.20 minute

What can you suggest?

3) Can I jack up the engine by the oil pan?

4) I'm 95000km. Can I avoit to change water pump? It is enaugh complex.