Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 T&D DVD/CD question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Default 2005 T&D DVD/CD question

I recently bought a 2005 T&C Limited. I love the van in every way, but one thing seem curious to me. The 6 disk DVD/CD player works with the headphones fine, but I cannot get it to work through the speakers. The manual is not clear at all. The previous owner only used headphones, and the dealer was not sure if it is supposed to work through speakers. But I find it hard to believe that I have to have 5 sets of headphones if I have a van full, and that I cannot enjoy multiple CDs as the driver with the changer.

Comments?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Do you have the VES manual? I have found on my 2008 Town and Country (dual screen VES, 430 REN radio with DVD) that operation of the system is anything but straightforward. The VES manual is some help.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 AM

I have the manual for the car, but not the VES manual. I do have the remote for the DVD player. The button on the upper left corner turns the sound on/off for the headphones. But I would expect that when you turn it off for the headphones, it would turn on for the speakers, but it does not.

Can someone who has this car (2005 T&C Limited) with the upgraded Infinity sound system confirm that they can get DVD/CD in the 6 disk changer to play through the speakers?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 PM

My setup may be different, Infinity sound system but only a single disc plus the separate VES faceplate with its own disc and control panel. With a DVD in the "radio" the video can be viewed by either, or both, of the rear screens, and the audio played over the vehicle speakers. Headphones can be used or not. This configuration is selected on the VES remote control by the "Mode" button then "Disc" from the next menu (that also list "AM", "FM", etc.)

Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 PM

We had a '05 T&C Touring, with the DVD and yes, it played over the speakers.. then kids would press the headphones button on the remote, the radio would show little headphones and then you could switch to other functions, like CD/Radio, etc to hear other things while the dvd audio played in the headphones.. Ours had the 6 disc player lower in the dash.

JK

Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Default speakers always play

JC,
So when you load a DVD, you get no sound at all? How about if you load a CD in the changer? With the headphone icon on, you should be able to listen to AM,FM or cd in the nav radio. If you hit the FM button while kids watch a movie, do you get sound then? If you do, what happens when you hit the aux button back to DVD? This is assuming you have the RB1 nav radio.

There are 2 harnesses that go to the changer, one for the screen/ headphones and one for the sound and display on the radio. Do you have Uconnect or sat radio?

Does you display show the "track number" while the cd/dvd plays?

Does you screen look like this?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

This is the IR (Infrared) system. The headphones have 1 AAA battery at each ear.
default is speakers always on and the headphones only work when the remote button is pressed. Matter of fact, you can't turn the speakers off they either play cd/dvd or something else while cd/dvd is playing.

Fixit

Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Fixit,

Thanks for your detailed response.

I get no sounds at all with a DVD and a CD through the speakers. I can hear fine through the headphones. While watching a movie through the headphones, I can hit the AM/FM button and hear the radio through the speakers, and still hear the movie through the headphones. When I hit the AUX button, the movie still plays through the headphones but the speakers go silent.

The screen displays "Disc 1 Chapter 1" and then the H:M display below that.

I do not have UConnect or Sat Radio.

Yes, my screen looks like what you show.

My suspicion is that some harness is not connected correctly and I just need to get it pulled and look. Do you agree?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 AM
Default Harness Check

"My suspicion is that some harness is not connected correctly and I just need to get it pulled and look. Do you agree? "

Yes, Exactly!

There are 2 harnesses on the back of the DVD changer. A 12 pin and 16 pin. The 12 pin harness is what goes to the screen. The 16 pin harness goes to the radio and carries the audio in it , pins 8, 15, 16. This has to be connected since you get the chapters #'s on the radio screen. I believe this communication is carried through pin 12. Also, I assume you get the panel lights at night on the changer and it turns on and off with the key, so this cable has to be connected.

It is 16 pin at the DVD changer and goes to 10 pin on the radio though only 8 or so wires are in this harness.

P/n on the changer to radio harness

Maybe unplug and plug each end and see what happens. Also when unplugged make sure all the pins are straight on the changer and the radio. I think there is a setup Menu on the DVD screen accessed by the Menu button on the remote. Maybe there is an audio output setting. I can't check since my Van is at the dealer now. Also, there is a mute button on the remote, have you tried this? CHECK THIS FIRST!

Hope this helps!

Fixit

Last edited by mrfixit454; 12-29-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Fixit,

Your pictures and explanation are very helpful. Before I pull the device, I was intrigued by your comment on the SETUP MENU. I did bring up that menu, something I had never done before. There were alot of settings that I was not sure what they do. I few clearly had to do with audio, and so I played with them, but it did not make any difference. I will describe what I played with in a post when I have more time.

The MUTE button turns on/off the headphones, but pressing it makes no difference to the speakers, so I am pretty sure that is not the issue.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Here very hopeful explanation. I like those thanks.

Quick Reply: 2005 T&D DVD/CD question