Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Town Country Radiator Fitment issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Default 2005 Town Country Radiator Fitment issue

My friend's 2005 T&C developed a leak in the radiator, at top, near the plastic tank. I purchased a Spectra Premium CU2795, which was the part called out for on RockAuto's website. However, couple of observations:
1. The plastic/rubber flexible pieces on either side of the OEM do not fit on the new Spectra. I don't think that they're really necessary, but they seem to be sort of a debris shield for the tubing of the AC condensor.

2. One of the bottom clips (left side) that hold the AC condensor to the radiator was broken. I tried epoxying the piece but it didn't hold. Anyway, the other side was still intact, and also there are two clips at the top too. Not as rugged as the bottom slot style, but I think the AC condensor will be fine.

3. Last, and the major issue - the new radiator came with two 'locator pegs' at the top right and left, for lack of a better name. I'm thinking these were to fit into the grommets on the dual electric cooling fan, for additional stability for the fan unit. But the big problem is that those pegs, about an inch and a half tall, interfere with the van's front radiator crossmember and won't allow it to clamp over the radiator. The OEM didn't have these pegs. The pegs if you want to call them that, are actually on the crossmember piece itself from chrysler and are made to fit into the grommets of the cooling fan. So I found myself having to cut off those damn pegs. The fit of the cooling fans in the front slats on the radiator was very tight, but seemed to be OK.

Has anyone else seen these problems with aftermarket radiators? The Vista-Pro/Proliance line seems to be engineered similarly. Also, in calling my Mopar part guy, he says that there are two radiators for a 2005 Chrysler, one up to 1/2005, and the other, after 1/2005. But none of the aftermarket folks seem to delineate this?????