Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2005 Town & Country Sliding Door Lock Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Unhappy 2005 Town & Country Sliding Door Lock Repair?

Hello, I have a 2005 Town & Country Limited. My driver's side rear sliding door no longer locks or unlocks with either the interior automatic lock/unlock button or the key remote. The (manual) lock plunger works to lock/unlock, and if the plunger is in the unlocked position, I can open the sliding door with the ceiling panel control and the key remote.

The inconvenient thing is that I can't open the door remotely at all, which isn't fun when carrying groceries in the rain! Also, I'd like to be able to lock the entire car automatically and not have to mess with having to reach in and push down that lock.

I am willing to attempt this repair myself, since the dealership will probably want hundreds of dollars. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 AM

Sounds like a pinch/short in one of the wires of the "snake cable" that runs in the lower track. It is a common problem (I've replaced 3 on my '07. Two under warranty, one on my tab).

The dealer wants $400+ for this wiring harness enclosed in what looks like a plastic chain. If you look online, like Car-Part Finder, you can find them at roughly 1/4 of the price. I did.

It isn't difficult to replace. It'll require removal of the lower portion of the palstic trim on the B pillar, then the trim piece on the floor in the door area itself. From there it's just disconnect the pigtails, pop loose all the christmas tree retainers that hold it in place, remove and replace. Upon reinstall, be careful that the little plastic gaurd on the bottom of the door, covers the wiring. It protects the wiring from the mechanicals of the door.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Hi there, CMNTMXR57 -- thanks so much for the reply. I'm wondering, though, if I've explained the problem correctly. The door lock mechanism is getting power; you can hear it "trying" to open the lock on the sliding door in question. I have read on another Chrysler forum that the issue may be the lock actuator that needs replacing.

Please look at this page:
Trying to repair the sliding door locking device

Now that I look at your solution and compare it to the above, I'm confused. I don't want to order the lock actuator and try to install it if indeed I really need to replace the wiring harness, as you suggest.

As I said, the door lock is getting power. Does that make a difference in your original opinion?

Thanks very much! I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
--Carol

Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
Sounds like a pinch/short in one of the wires of the "snake cable" that runs in the lower track. It is a common problem (I've replaced 3 on my '07. Two under warranty, one on my tab).

The dealer wants $400+ for this wiring harness enclosed in what looks like a plastic chain. If you look online, like Car-Part Finder, you can find them at roughly 1/4 of the price. I did.

It isn't difficult to replace. It'll require removal of the lower portion of the palstic trim on the B pillar, then the trim piece on the floor in the door area itself. From there it's just disconnect the pigtails, pop loose all the christmas tree retainers that hold it in place, remove and replace. Upon reinstall, be careful that the little plastic gaurd
on the bottom of the door, covers the wiring. It protects the wiring from the mechanicals of the door.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Last edited by TNtech; 09-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by cchis
Hello, I have a 2005 Town & Country Limited. My driver's side rear sliding door no longer locks or unlocks with either the interior automatic lock/unlock button or the key remote. The (manual) lock plunger works to lock/unlock, and if the plunger is in the unlocked position, I can open the sliding door with the ceiling panel control and the key remote.

The inconvenient thing is that I can't open the door remotely at all, which isn't fun when carrying groceries in the rain! Also, I'd like to be able to lock the entire car automatically and not have to mess with having to reach in and push down that lock.

I am willing to attempt this repair myself, since the dealership will probably want hundreds of dollars. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
I'm having the same issue here on my 2005 Town and Country. Have you fixed your doors? If so, what did it take?