Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Town & Country van coolant gone

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:35 PM
Unhappy 2006 Town & Country van coolant gone

OK, I have a 2006 Town & Country van that is using coolant?
I can drive it about 20 to 30 miles and the rad is about empty. With this much loss I would think that it would be easy to find.
Now what I have done so far is Flushed the cooling system, Replaced thermostat.
Pressure tested the system to no end.
There are no leaks under the van, no water in the oil, no smoke out of the tailpipe.
I am really stumped on this one? Any help would be great

Thanks
mccartyser

Old 04-02-2018, 03:49 PM

Look carefully at the plastic tanks used on the radiator. With my Intrepid, I actually had to remove the headlights to be able to find the leak.
That is the most likely place for a leak that bad, besides a hose leak. If that turns out to be it, DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET RADIATOR. Trust me on that, I went through 3 different aftermarket radiators in just over 9 months. The Mopar replacement has been going strong for 41/2 years now.
The plastic tanks can be prone to failure after a while.

Throw a new radiator cap on it too. If the cooling system passed the pressure test, then it could be an issue with the overflow tank, or a defective cap.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:38 PM

Does this have rear aux heat and A/C? and have you checked the lines under the van and heater core in the left rear corner(wet carpet in the rear stowage area)?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Unhappy Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country

I pumped the pressure up in the Rad. to 15 pounds and it held it overnight.
There is no rear A/C or Heat. It sits in the Garage with on spots under the car.
I just can not understand where it is going

Thanks for your help
mccartyser

Old 04-03-2018, 03:37 AM

What motor is in your van? And WHERE is "LA LA LAND"?
Do you get excessive white smoke out the exhaust pipe when running? Does the motor run rough or smoothly as firing on all cylinders?
Have you checked engine oil to see if coolant has mixed with it( blown gasket or cracked head)?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 AM

Well it is a 3.3 motor and as I stated in the post (There are no leaks under the van, no water in the oil, no smoke out of the tailpipe.)
This is what has me sooo stumped?
And La La Land is just a state of mind. (aka Cincinnati. Ohio)
Thanks for your help
mccartyser

Old 04-03-2018, 09:23 AM

From info given, it is theoretically impossible to not find ANY trace of ehre the loss is coming from. I have owned a number of 3.3's and Vans, it is going somewhere.How is engine operation and cooling system when prolonged idling? Do the radiator fans work?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 AM

This is really strange!
But, when in the past people haven't been able to find the leak in the usual places, engine bay, etc, check the heater matrix in the car itself, often when these get a leak it causes quite a large loss of fluid, but it gets absorbed into the carpet.

So start to check in the cabin, under/around the dash and heater matrix locations, see if you can find any damp spots there.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:27 AM

The only other possibility I can think of is a failed water pump impeller. not pumping(I have never seen this happen but there are many reports of this). As rpms from driving increase so does the mounting pressure from a static cooling system and blowing it out the reservoir while driving. BUT close examination around the res. tank should show at least TRACE residue of coolant.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Yea That is whats got me?
Nothing on the floor under heater, If it was going in to the reservoir then it would be overfull?
And the engine runs smooth as silk. There is no overheating til the rad. is low on coolant. No smell in car, I am at whits end with this?
Thanks
mccartyser

Quick Reply: 2006 Town & Country van coolant gone