Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 T&C Key FOB Programing HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Default 2011 T&C Key FOB Programing HELP!!

I have brand new 2011 T&C my remote starter module went and I had only the one fob with the car and when they replaced the unit now my other FOB is NFG.

I know I can go back to dealer but that is a pain I am trying to avoid.

Anyone know the procedure for programing the FOB for this Model Year?

Thanks
George

Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

U can so it yourself only if U have 2 working key fobs programed already

Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 PM

I would have thought that the dealer who replaced the module would have had the presence of mind to tell you that your other key fob would have to be reprogrammed.

Programming those doesn't take all that long to do. Can't you arrange for the dealer to do it while you wait? Is the dealer a long way from you or have you had problems with them before?

Contact Chrysler Customer Service on-line. I've done it a couple of times and I've been quite satisfied with the things they've done for me.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM

I have only the one working, do you know the procedure for me to get the other one working? DO i have to reprogram both again at the same time?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by T&CMAN
I have only the one working, do you know the procedure for me to get the other one working? DO i have to reprogram both again at the same time?
As far as I know..., the only way you can program a key is if you have two working ones. Since you only have one, I think you're pretty much stuck taking it to the dealer. There is at least one valid reason for not being able to do it with only one key..., and that's to prevent parking lot attendants from making copies of keys of the cars they park.

However, since they just installed a new module for you, it would only make sense that they would reprogram your other key as part of the warranty work they did.

I'd contact Chrysler Customer Service if the dealer is giving you problems.

As an aside, I think that the fee dealers charge for those keys is outrageous..., but what can you do? I had one dealer carefully explain to me that it cost so much because those keys contain a 'computer chip' as if that would explain the $125 dollars they were asking. I bought a couple of DVD drives for the last computer I built, and for a device that contains thousands of transistors, six different lasers and MANY 'computer chips', they cost me all of $19.95 each.

Those eproms literally cost only pennies. The rest, minus the very short time it takes to do the programming, is pure profit. I don't mind paying for work done well and paying a reasonable profit for the person doing the work, but prices sometimes north of $150 to program a key is unconscionable!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 AM

I don't believe that the new keys / key FOBs can be self programmed. At least there is not any information published in the owner's manuals. Now the manuals simply say:
"Customer Key Programming
Programming Key Fobs or RKE transmitters may be performed at an authorized dealer."

Older vehicle manuals had the following instructions listed in them:

"You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid sentry keys by performing the following procedure:

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and
remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chime will sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off. The new Sentry Key has been programmed.

The Keyless Entry Transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure.

Repeat this procedure to program up to a total of 8 keys.
If you do not have a programmed sentry key, contact your dealer for details.
NOTE: If a programmed key has been lost, see your dealer to have all remaining keys erased from the systems memory. The remaining keys must then reprogrammed. This will prevent the lost key from starting your vehicle. All vehicle keys must be taken to the dealer at the time of service to be reprogrammed."

I'm not sure whether or not the new Keys / Key FOBs will program using these instructions or not. I'll look into it and see if I can get some confirmation.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM

There is no key to cut with this car FOB only, the only key is to open door if battery is dead on FOB

There has to be some sequence only in Service Manuals

I did it to my GM truck but you have to know the sequence if you do not have programmer at the dealer. Unless dealers do not have any programer and just do the stored procedure

I will just drive by the dealer I hope they do not keep me long

If anyone knows it would be good to have posted for future reference

Thanks
George

Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Try this. I can't guarantee it will work, but you won't be any worse off than now.

RKE Programming Procedure:
  1. Using a functional key fob transmitter, unlock the vehicle and disarm the Vehicle Theft Security System.
  2. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to RUN position with- out starting engine.
  4. Using a functional key fob transmitter, press and hold the UNLOCK button for a minimum 4 seconds (maximum 10 seconds).
  5. While holding UNLOCK button, and before 10 seconds passes, press and release the PANIC button. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module is set to receive the newVehicle Access Code(s).
  6. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press any button on each new key fob transmitter. After 30 seconds or when ignition switch is turned OFF , the RKE module will end the programming mode. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module will no longer receive additional Vehicle Access Code(s).
  7. When Vehicle Access Code(s) programming is complete, turn Ignition Switch to the OFF position and verify RKE system operation using each key fob. NOTE: Only the primary (first two) key fob transmitters will operate the memory seat and mirror systems. If a primary key fob is being replaced, the memory seat and mirror module will require programming.

Read more: How do you program a Chrysler Key Fob

Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

let me know at some point in time if U have read my post just so I know I was heard.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 AM

sorry Chrysler TECH, If your referring to this post

"U can so it yourself only if U have 2 working key fobs programed already"

I did not understand what you meant. Currently I only have the one working FOB, I have NO KEYS to start this car. I was not ignoring you I just did not understand what you meant.

MY bad if I insulted u

Quick Reply: 2011 T&C Key FOB Programing HELP!!