Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

97 & 98 tranny differences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Lightbulb 97 & 98 tranny differences?

My 98 awd LXI tranny locked-up (tore up planetary) & I bought a '97 rebuild that was supposed to be the same & it did install seamlessly but is in 'limp' mode showing 700 code for trans & 400 for speed sensor problem.

I then found in the service manual wiring detail that the speed sensor wires are exactly backwards from one year to the other. Everything else on schematic looks essentially the same. At this point I am going to install my old tranny sensors in the rebuild to see if that works but would appreciate anyones advice who knows about this particular transmission.

Cheers to all for a great 2011!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM

How did you obtain the codes.......?????

P0700 is a generic Trans code for "Fault stored"...which could be anythig trans related.......You will need the codes from TCM to pinpoint the exact stored failure.

P0400 has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH TRANS...or speed sensors.....It is a Fault in the EGR system.....

Which engine is this????

Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Talking Now Working!

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
How did you obtain the codes.......?????

P0700 is a generic Trans code for "Fault stored"...which could be anythig trans related.......You will need the codes from TCM to pinpoint the exact stored failure.

P0400 has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH TRANS...or speed sensors.....It is a Fault in the EGR system.....

Which engine is this????

Thanks for response Tonic.........Problem Solved in the meantime!

I switched sensors & she's working! The p0400 is a generic obdII code from my reader that means egr circuit, I know that is unrelated to the trans problem. Btw, all awd's have the 3.8 as far as I know.

This is my wife's throw-away van from the kids. I keep it for an extra since it is paid for & liability ins alone is cheap, anyone can use it and it also doubles as a light pickup truck because it has all that room. I ran across this trans for a lot less from a 3rd party than I could get one rebuilt (it is a Jasper).

The other reason I kept it is I am experimenting with CNG conversion. I have some of the parts & just want to try it out as an alternative incase gasoline does what I fear it may do later this year, or if there is a shortage (Jimmy Carter remember?)

Thanks again for your speedy response to my problem!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM

ok.....

Look at the valve and make sure you didnt knock the vac hoses loose while wiggling the trans......(Been there , done that )

Jimmy Carter.....????? Why not try "Peanut Oil" instead....

Unfortunately, CNG and LP arent much cheaper at this point, But good luck anyhow...