Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

97 Caravan - Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Default 97 Caravan - Starting Problem

Having a problem with starting: I turn on ignition key, get idiot light bulb check, continue to turn to start position, NOTHING! No ticking, buzzing or clicking. Return key to lock position, try again, same thing. 3, 4 or 5 trys, then starts like nothing wrong. It seems to happen mostly on the first start of the day or after the engine is completely cooled down for several hours after use. I had replaced the starter 6 - 8 months ago and have had no problems with it, so I don't think that's the problem. Any no start problems I had from a starter were all problems with "HOT" starts.
I am wondering if it is the ignition "SWITCH", not to be confused with the ignition key. Could the switch itself be shot? Anyone know how I can test it? Or, could it possibly be that the switch has vibrated loose in it's mounting spot and possibly sliding up and down on the column just enough to keep the rod from emgaging it?
Would appreciate any info anyone may have about this problem.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Default RE: 97 Caravan - Starting Problem

it would be very helpfull if we would know the type of the car this refers to. also, the type of a tranny, manual or auto.

besides faulty ignition switch, you could have a problem with pedal switch or starter.

manual gearbox must have clutch pedal depressed for starting, automatic must have brake pedal depressed for starting, and both have switches by the pedal to signal that to PCM. check the swithes and wires leading to them.
if you find the problem there, you can use a piece of wire to short terminals until you buy a new switch.

there are also two tests you can do to exclude starter as a problem.
use voltmeter to check if the smaller wire (out of two) on the starter gets power when you turn the ignition key to START.
or, get somebody to hold the key on START, and you can bang the starter (body, not the back plate) with the plastic hammer or larger piece of wood. if spring-contacts are dirty, that should release them.
or, you can use jumper cable, one end on the battery, with other end short-circuit two connectors on starter. it should start cranking at once.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Default RE: 97 Caravan - Starting Problem

To I wonder, Thanx, I will try that today as soon as I get a chance. By the way, it is a 97 Caravan(it's in the subject box), with a 3.3 and a 4 speed auto.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Default RE: 97 Caravan - Starting Problem UPDATE

OK, I know my luck is about as bad as it gets, but this is rediculous.
Today, first start of the day, starts up perfect on first key turn. I moved the car, shut it off, and for some reason decided to try something else. I turned the key to start, and without depressing the brake pedal, it started right up and I was able to shift it into gear WITHOUT depressing the brake pedal. So, could my problem possibly be the transmission park/neutral safety switch?????

Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Default RE: 97 Caravan - Starting Problem UPDATE

not just possibly, but most likely.