Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

98 Chrysler stalls and turns off

Old 06-05-2015, 01:07 AM
Default 98 Chrysler stalls and turns off

I have an 1998 Chrysler town and country 3.8L engine. When I go to turn on the engine turns on then 1 maybe 2 seconds later it stalls out. It dose this a couple times then it won't turn on at all. Its like if the car locks up and won't even turn over anymore. Leaving it alone for about a week or so then it turns back on. I know it sounds vague... Now the headlights doesnt have any power nor does the cluster gauges.

We have taken it to a couple shops and there's hasn't been any luck. Those were 3 local shops, 1 that works on state patrol cars, and 1 Chrysler dealership. The parts that have been replaced: ECU, various relays, starter.

We just had the fuse box under the hood replace and it worked for about 3 weeks now the problem has accrued again.

I don't know what other information you need.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Sounds like the VTSS security system, specifically the engine immobilizer, has failed. Your symptoms are typical. The PCM senses a failure and shuts off the fuel injectors. After a number (?) of attempted starts it will lock out. It should recover after 15 minutes to at least let you attempt to start. Players in the system are the BCM, PCM, sensors and CCD data bus.

One thing screaming at me now is the CCD data bus for a single reason. Anytime a potential failure associated with the data bus pops up on a 3rd generation van you have to consider the possibility of a well known problem plaguing those model years - cracked solder joints on the instrument cluster circuit board. Specifically the solder joints securing the connector to the board. The instrument cluster is a hub for the data bus distributing communications to all the various modules on the van. The fix is easy. Re-flow the solder joints with a soldering iron. Symptoms such as erratic instruments, HVAC problems, hard starts or no starts are red flags. Not always but sometimes just smacking the dash above the cluster can be a temp fix.

The fact you had at least temporary success with changing the PDC (fuse box) could point to a bad crimp on a wire contact, internal wire damage, corrosion, etc. in the wire harness. Warrants a much closer look. Dead head lights, gauges? Is the battery in good shape and fully charged meaning 12.4 volts with engine off and it passes a load test. Connections clean and tight?

http://ww2.justanswer.de/uploads/gar...43_binder2.pdf

If the VTSS is fine I would suspect a bad fuel pump or the circuit that controls it. Did they determine if they are missing fuel or spark?

Is the alarm light or a red light on somewhere on the dash when this happens?
Any fault codes show up during this process?
Any data bus codes on the cluster self test?
Have they reprogrammed the system? It may have dumped.
They changed and ECU. Does that mean the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or the Body Control Module (BCM)?

Last edited by Raptor 07; 06-06-2015 at 03:19 PM.