Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

98 T&C Freon Charge? Hood Label Missing

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Default 98 T&C Freon Charge? Hood Label Missing

Hello, looking for the freon charge specification for a 98 T&C with Rear Air.
I searched the forum but could only find answers that said look at the under hood labe. The problem is it is missing. This vehicle has had hood replaced etc. Looked other places also. Compressor. Receiver dryer. No luck. Can someone please take a look if you have access to a spec manual or under hood label? Would appreciate it. Thank You

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondssleeper
Hello, looking for the freon charge specification for a 98 T&C with Rear Air.
I searched the forum but could only find answers that said look at the under hood labe. The problem is it is missing. This vehicle has had hood replaced etc. Looked other places also. Compressor. Receiver dryer. No luck. Can someone please take a look if you have access to a spec manual or under hood label? Would appreciate it. Thank You
P.S. I suspect its 2-3 cans/lbs. but I need to be sure.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

2.88 lbs with dual air

Old 08-12-2011, 06:17 PM

Thank You Chysler Tech. Much appreciated. Got my repair kit today. Compressor, receiver dryer, and expansion device. I thought it would have some specific tech data with it but did not. Now I'v scratching wondering how much oil needs to be in the system after I flush it. Thanks again for your help. I will call the place I got the kit from and see if they know.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

put the same amount of oil that comes off the oil compressor drain it and measure

Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Thank You again Kevin, I have to wonder though. Since I am flushing the whole system out I am thinking I am losing my reference point. I understand that if I am not flushing the system I would just be replacing the oil that was drained from the old compressor. On this occasion I am staring with zero oil in the entire system due to flushing. I am thinking its going to be something like 12 oz total with rear air. I need to buy a factory service manual I know. But man the ones I looked at are like $145.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

SYSTEM OIL LEVEL
It is important to have the correct amount of oil in the A/C system to ensure proper lubrication of the compressor. Too little oil will result in damage to the compressor. Too much oil will reduce the cooling capacity of the system and consequently result in higher discharge air temperatures.

NOTE: The oil used in the compressor is ND8 PAG R134a refrigerant oil. Only refrigerant oil of the same type should be used to service the system. Do not use any other oil. The oil container should be kept tightly capped until it is ready for use. Tightly cap afterwards to prevent contamination from dirt and moisture. Refrigerant oil will quickly absorb any moisture it comes in contact with. Special effort must be used to keep all R-134a system components moisture-free. Moisture in the oil is very difficult to remove and will cause a reliability problem with the compressor.

It will not be necessary to check oil level in the compressor or to add oil unless there has been an oil loss. Oil loss at a leak point will be evident by the presence of a wet, shiny surface around the leak.

REFRIGERANT OIL LEVEL CHECK
When an air conditioning system is first assembled, all components (except the compressor) are refrigerant oil free. After the system has been charged with R134a refrigerant and operated, the oil in the compressor is dispersed through the lines and components. The evaporator, condenser, and filter-drier will retain a significant amount of oil, refer to the Refrigerant Oil Capacities chart. When a component is replaced, the specified amount of refrigerant oil must be added. When the compressor is replaced, the amount of oil that is retained in the rest of the system must be drained from the replacement compressor. When a line or component has ruptured and oil has escaped, the compressor should be removed and drained. The filter-drier must be replaced along with the ruptured part. The oil capacity of the system, minus the amount of oil still in the remaining components, can be measured and poured into the suction port of the compressor.

Example: On a dual system the evaporator retains 60 ml (2 oz) The condenser retains 30 ml (1 oz) of oil, and system capacity may be 220 ml (7.40 oz) of oil.

220 ml minus 90 ml = 130 ml (4.40 oz)

REFRIGERANT OIL CAPACITIES
Refrigerant Oil Capacities Front A/C Dual A/C
Component ml oz ml oz
Compressor 150 ml 5.0 oz 220 ml 7.4 oz
Filter-Drier 30 ml 1.0 oz 30 ml 1.0 oz
Condenser 30 ml 1.0 oz 30 ml 1.0 oz
Evaporator 60 ml 2.0 oz 60 ml 2.0 oz
Rear Evap. N/A N/A 60 ml 2.0 oz

CAUTION: The refrigerant oil used in a R-134a A/C system is unique. Use only oils which were designed to work with R-134a refrigerant. The oil designated for this vehicle is ND8 PAG (polyalkalene glycol)

SERVICING REFRIGERANT OIL LEVEL
1.Using a refrigerant recovery machine, remove refrigerant from the A/C system.
2.Remove refrigerant lines from A/C compressor.
3.Remove compressor from vehicle.
4.From suction port on top of compressor, drain refrigerant oil from compressor.
5.Add system capacity minus the capacity of components that have not been replaced through suction port on compressor. Refer to the Refrigerant Oil Capacity Chart.
6.Install compressor, connect refrigerant lines, evacuate, and charge