Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light coming on and off

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Unhappy ABS light coming on and off

Hi. I am new to this forum. Ihave a Grand Voyager 2003 3.3 V6 limited (UK). The ABS light comes on and off. It sometimes stays on for several days and then goes off. The moment it has been on for a few week. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Chan

Old 06-20-2011, 04:45 PM

Our own ABS light does the same, normally over winter up to MOT time when I attempt to fix it.
It has been solved 2 years running now by jet washing round the ABS sensors at each wheel. Not always immediately, can take a day or 2 to go out.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM

our's fail the MOT cause the ABS light is on

Old 01-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Default Same here

I have the same problem. ABS-light comes and goes. Seems to be sensitive to moisty wheather/rain, cause I have noticed that after a few days with dry weather and dry roads, the light goes off.

Could be that cleaning the sensors and sensor gear will help.

Just had the local Chrysler shop checking this, but they could not get their computer to communicate with the ABS-controller. Therefore they could not read out any error-codes there might be, and they could not tell what the problem is. They suggested to replace the controller to establish computer connection, but that is really expensive.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Default ABS light

My ABS light has come on recently ( 2006 3.3 Grand Voyager ). The ABS does not work either, but the brakes are fine and it just means a bit of cadence braking ( old school ) instead. I guess that my issue is more than just a sensor, so could be really expensive. I don't want to go to the dealer or they will surely want to replace everything. Is there any way of getting this checked out independently ? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Atlantis
My ABS light has come on recently ( 2006 3.3 Grand Voyager ). The ABS does not work either, but the brakes are fine and it just means a bit of cadence braking ( old school ) instead. I guess that my issue is more than just a sensor, so could be really expensive. I don't want to go to the dealer or they will surely want to replace everything. Is there any way of getting this checked out independently ? Thanks.
I'm thinking if the lights on, it switches the ABS off automatically so hopefully its only be 1 fault.

Mines is now on for the 3rd year running (came on in the past few weeks once the gritters started), not had a chance to wash all round the sensors yet this year, but I'm confident when I do it'll go off again.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Scotsman4th
I'm thinking if the lights on, it switches the ABS off automatically so hopefully its only be 1 fault.

Mines is now on for the 3rd year running (came on in the past few weeks once the gritters started), not had a chance to wash all round the sensors yet this year, but I'm confident when I do it'll go off again.
Hope you're right there Scotsman. Can you tell me where the sensors are, and how much jetting it might take to clean then - then I'll get the Karcher out ! Cheers, and have a good Burns' night.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Not too sure, I normally just jet all around the rear discs avoiding where the bearings are (not wanting to blast the grease out of them).
You could have a look underneath as there will be a wire going to them, for some reason I always suspect the rear ones and just give the area a general blast.
As I mentioned, it doesnt always work immediately, it's normally a day or 2 before my light goes out. I'll try mines again in the morning.
Good luck.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Atlantis
Hope you're right there Scotsman. Can you tell me where the sensors are, and how much jetting it might take to clean then - then I'll get the Karcher out ! Cheers, and have a good Burns' night.
Its maybe NOT a good idea do it when the disks are still hot / warm, wait until they are cold or you might get unlucky and be shelling out for new disks

NOTE : Many people call into a garage and use the jet wash facility, the disks can stay hot for ages even in this weather, and a hot disk artificially cooled warps easily.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scotsman4th
Not too sure, I normally just jet all around the rear discs avoiding where the bearings are (not wanting to blast the grease out of them).
You could have a look underneath as there will be a wire going to them, for some reason I always suspect the rear ones and just give the area a general blast.
As I mentioned, it doesnt always work immediately, it's normally a day or 2 before my light goes out. I'll try mines again in the morning.
Good luck.
Cheers, I'll give it a go. The missus said that the light first came on just after a hard left turn in a car park, and she heard a grinding noise from the front nearside. The 2 things may or may not be connected - could just have been the tyre rubbing, but I'll give the fronts a good clean too, and check everything.

I'll post up afterwards to let you know what happens

Quick Reply: ABS light coming on and off