Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Box Slow To 'Bite' When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Default Auto Box Slow To 'Bite' When Cold

When I first start my GV and select drive or reverse, I have to rev the engine a little bit before the car moves. Once the transmission has warmed up the car moves as soon as I select a gear. I had new transmission fluid and a new filter fitted last year and the fluid measures full on the dipstick so I don't think that's the problem.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
When I first start my GV and select drive or reverse, I have to rev the engine a little bit before the car moves. Once the transmission has warmed up the car moves as soon as I select a gear. I had new transmission fluid and a new filter fitted last year and the fluid measures full on the dipstick so I don't think that's the problem.
Is it a big consistent enough concern to take to dealer for diagnosis? - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 PM

The fault is consistent but a Chrysler dealer in the UK is probably the last place I would take it for a diagnosis.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:48 AM

Yeah I agree, every experience I've had with Chrysler dealerships here in the UK were bad. They diagnosed my van as having a failed transmission when in fact it was the solenoid pack, too dealers missed it. My cousin had a 2.8 cdr with running issues. Three separate dealers, an new turbo, new injectors and a new ECM later it still had running issues. With nothing left to lose we torn it down on my drive and found a cracked cylinder head!

However, my first thought would be, did they put the correct grade of fluid in? I've seen several places using ATF +4 complaint fluid which contained Dextron. However, while tracking down my own issues was told time and time again by several transmission builders in the US, do not use Dextron or fluids containing Dextron! maybe worth checking to see what they used.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
The fault is consistent but a Chrysler dealer in the UK is probably the last place I would take it for a diagnosis.
Hahhaah, feel you man

Old 07-04-2016, 01:42 PM

Your GV should select and work instantly you move the lever to drive. Mine does with a very slight jerk because my foot is on the brake pedal.
First thing I would establish (easiest) that the fluid used is appropriate for a GV. auto-box. By no means are all ATF fluids the same. Indeed, has the ATF fluid actually BEEN changed? Your statement about the fluid being cold when you get the problem could be a dead give-away. Sometimes you can get a slight "judder" when pulling away if there is a big wet clutch around the torque converter, very common nowadays for fuel economy. This judder usually happens when the ATF has had it. There is an anti-judder fluid in some ATFs that can actually be bought separately. Note: Americans call this "shudder".
However, the above is only one of many causes. The ATF pump may be worn, especially with a very high-mileage vehicle. And of course the solenoid pack can be dodgy as mentioned by Vonhofinvule. There could be a bit of grit in the pump and accumulator circuit making the pump take its time in pressurizing the system. If you remove the autobox's sump, is the bottom of it filthy inside? Some have a kind of mesh filter here.
Good luck.
Leedsman.