Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Default Bad news!!

Looks like Chrysler are to quit the UK. Dealers were told a couple of days ago they have a couple of years to run things down. As less than 2000 vehicles were sold in the UK in 2014 I suppose the writing was on the wall.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 AM

Yet another example of incompetence, business incompetence this time. If you can't make a go of it here in UK, where can you?

Leedsman.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:21 AM

They seem to do well in the Netherlands.. Although I don't understand it... because their service and parts are by far the most expensive of all brands.
The Chrysler dealer mechanics ask 2 times as much per hour as official Mercedes Benz or BMW dealers
Parts are 3-4 times as expensive...

My guess is that Chrysler dealership will be located at Fiat dealers?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:46 AM

Not so long ago, motor manufacturers called this island (of the UK) "treasure island" because they could get more money for their motors than anywhere else.
Really, Chrysler motors are certainly no worse than any other and indeed have certain advantages, partic. the "stow-and-go" feature of the GVs.
Chrysler need a lean and hungry management (especially sales management) -- if the likes of Aldi and Liddel can almost topple almighty Tesco, then the Chrysler management should look-see how these two successful supermarkets are doing it. It'll probably need a clear-out of old dead wood management before anything else, dead wood is the usual reason. Example:-- how come there are many other makers advertizing on tv, but NO CHRYSLER? What's happening to Jeep? Are Chrysler going to let themselves go the way of British Leyland? When the previous BL company, BMC were the worlds second largest motor manufacturers, second only to the americans.

Leedsman.
p.s. Don't anyone tell me Chrysler can't get money for rectification and expansion. The world is awash with money. Look at Jaguar as a shining example of a Ford blunder and a swift aquisition by Tatra, a company with almost no motor manufacturing experience, but perhaps more business acumen. Of course, there maybe things going on with Chrysler we don't know about. How does Mercedes fit in here? Does Mercedes really run Chrysler?

Last edited by Leedsman; 03-19-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Fiat own and have half owned Chrysler since 09, they got the lot this January I think. They are now Fiat, Lancia, Alfa, Maserati, Ferrari, Chrysler, Dodge, & Jeep.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM

How many times have Lancia teetered on the brink of extinction, yet the latest range of Lancia models are just re-badged Chryslers. So if Chrysler go does that mean Lancia will go too or will we soon be seeing Lancia Voyagers in the UK!

Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 PM

Chrysler - Fiat Europe (including the Middle East and Africa), went from 70% share in 2004 to 56% in 2013, to 42% in 2018. The premium end was 18% in 2013 and the cheepo budget cars were 12% in 2013. The Renegade and Cherokee were up and the Lancia, Dodge, Chrysler, and Ram fell from 110,000 to 80,000 per year. The Jeep is going to be coupled with Alfa Romeo at dealerships.

- read it [Fiat by region] yourself here
- the other board [J K Portland] did say that Chrysler were out of the UK, but who really knows ?

Old 03-19-2015, 03:14 PM

My only input is that I can get certain exact same parts from other companies for sometimes 3-4 times cheaper because they don't have a chrysler stamp on it. Not surprised at all that they are closing down in the uk. People are wise to it now and would rather take their 40-50 grand elsewhere with a better service package and cheaper parts and labour.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:40 AM

Yes, what Royal is saying is perfectly true, and it is not just applying to the car market. Those trying to sell badly maintained houses are finding no-one wants to know because everywhere builders, electrician's, plumber's costs etc. are huge now compared to what they were 10 years ago. One flat in Halifax I estimated would cost around £8G. to fix up turned out out to have a builder's estimate of over £15G., which meant the flat did not make economic sense to buy. And of course, many older vehicles can be "economic write-offs" due to repair costs.

Leedsman.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM

I stumbled across this on Google. If you input "Chrysler to quit UK" Autocar and the Telegraph have written articles about it all.

Regards John.

PS Can't remember where I read it but the Lancia Voyager is finished aswell. Explains why the UK never got the updated dash/interior like the Lancia,Town & Country and 300c.

Last edited by J K Portland; 03-20-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad news!!