Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery looked bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Default battery looked bad?

Hi all, I just brought a 2005 t&c touring for the wife, it has 74k on it. I went to pick it up at the dealer today. I was informed that the battery looked bad,so they replaced it, and so it now has to be driven 100 miles for them to inspec it because the battery reset to computer or something? I took it with a rejection sticker on it.... why do i ponder about this battery looked bad? is there something they aint telling me??

thanks gb

Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM

Why did you take it to them in the first place? Leaving out half the story here..........

Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM

What he didnt say....

The vehicle is in an area where Emission inspections are required., Disconnecting the battery clears computer memory, and OBD emission testing will not proceed until the adaptives are learned, and readiness monitors are all active, with no pending DTC's.

Yes it is completely believable. I have turned away countless vehicles because the owner disconnected the battery in hopes of turning opff the Check engine lamp.......Only to find out that by the time the computer was capable of being Tested, the lamp was back on....

Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
What he didnt say....

The vehicle is in an area where Emission inspections are required., Disconnecting the battery clears computer memory, and OBD emission testing will not proceed until the adaptives are learned, and readiness monitors are all active, with no pending DTC's.

Yes it is completely believable. I have turned away countless vehicles because the owner disconnected the battery in hopes of turning opff the Check engine lamp.......Only to find out that by the time the computer was capable of being Tested, the lamp was back on....

I believe what happens when one disconnects the battery.... I find it strange as to the why. Because the battery looked bad? in other words it didnt have a starting problem, We did it because it looked bad? dealers have that much money to throw after the sell, on things that look bad? It don't add up to me, I find myself pondering why? No one tests batterys anymore? I know at my shop ( ryder) we load test (cca rating) batterys before we replace any. Looks.... yeah if leaking cracked loose terminals etc.
There is something else here, imho, just can't pinpoint it. Maybe it's my mistrust?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 PM

Maybe it's my mistrust?
prior to picking up the vehicle...they washed it, dried it and made it all pretty for you.....and left the key turned on and killed it..........

Or...It was sitting around on the lot, and they couldnt start it when it came time for delivery....any number of things......

Play it out.....and enjoy your new battery.....

Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
prior to picking up the vehicle...they washed it, dried it and made it all pretty for you.....and left the key turned on and killed it..........

Or...It was sitting around on the lot, and they couldnt start it when it came time for delivery....any number of things......

Play it out.....and enjoy your new battery.....
The day before i test drove it, started it a couple of times...well i guess it could be for the best and I will enjoy the new batt, thanks much

Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 AM

HAHA! Dang, they could have at least said they tested oit and it was bad or it went dead while it was in the shop....that happens here a few times a year. But for them to tell you "IT LOOKED BAD" is about the dumbest thing i've ever heard...lol.