Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pad help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Default brake pad help

I've replaced pads in my Mustang with ease, but I'm not finding 13mm bolts to loosen. There are big suckers (didn't check size, probably too big) and then where I thought the 13mm would be, there are rubber things there. Do I yank them off? I should have bought a repair manual to make sure.

Thanks. (2005 Town and Country Touring)

Old 07-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Default RE: brake pad help

Going to answer my own question and provide a few pointers for those like me with less experience.

My 2005 has Hex screws that require Hex keys (allen wrenches). I think the one I used was 7mm. Anyway, these are in place of the 13mm caliper bolts mentioned by others. They both are hidden inside pieces of rubber protruding off the back of the caliper. I took both hex screws out.

I then began using a pry bar on the top and bottom of the caliper. There is also a clip that needs to be popped off. Careful not to get hit in the face by it.

Remove the pads, then use a large C-clamp to compress the brake piston back in. Place in your new pads and slide the caliper back over the rotor.

Getting the clip back in is a little tricky. What helped me is I got one side of the clip on, put the C-clamp on it to hold it from popping out, then worked on the other side. My passenger side clip was more trouble than my driver side.

Don't forget to pump the brakes after you start the car and before you start driving so the piston compresses the pads against the rotor. Pedal will go to the floor until you are ready to go.

Hope this helped someone out. Also, my vehicle went 43,000 miles before I had to replace my brake pads. This is for the front brakes. I'll be doing the rear brakes this weekend. I don't trust these garages and like to do stuff myself. I've had people tell me a lot of bs before and try to sell me stuff I did not need.