Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Buying a GV again!

Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 AM
Question Buying a GV again!

Hi folks,

Long time since I was here, but I'm finally getting back to buying a Grand Voyager and wanted a few tips/hints for anything I should be watching for.
(Haven't bought yet!)

The one I'm looking at is a UK 56 plate (2006) Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8CRD Limited stow-and-go.

It's got 65,000 on the clock and in decent condition interior. Externally has the usual bumps and scratches (notably passenger side rear corner has reversed into something that looks like it crushed the bumper and scratched paintwork on the boot lit as I can see rust appearing).
Starting from cold it is very hesitant, needing a lot of pedal pumping before it will fire. Once running it's smooth and seems happy, no stalls/cut-outs during driving, haven't tried a restart from warm yet.
It has a metallic raspy rattle when accelerating hard or flinging it around a bit, I suspect a metal shield is loose, appeared to be from drivers side.
Also passenger side, front of wheel there is a metal strut that is hanging, not fastened. Couldn't spot what it was/off, but doesn't look major (not like a suspension rod, etc, probably a shield bracket).

Checked usual electrics, all doors/boot functioning, no dash dance (speedo needle sweep up and down) so all else appears ok.

It's coming from a dealer, so I've told him to get the above sorted, notably the cold start issue as I know it could be a few things (Glowplugs first, injector1/rail/sensor, etc)
But is it sounding like a scare story, or not so bad?

Hints and tips please folks, many thanks in advance. Hopefully soon to be another happy owner again!

Andy

Old 02-24-2015, 06:04 AM

Nice to see you posting again Andy lad !

Old 02-24-2015, 06:06 AM

Yes, these engines (as with all diesels nowadays) should start immediate WITH NO PEDAL. 1st. thing to do is disconnect each glow-plug and test with heavy current test-lamp from batt. +ve to plug tip. The lamp should be bright. If one isn't, replace it. They will do an immense mileage, quarter million easy. Used in London taxis. My 2.8 CRD engine has been faultless, now done 110,000mile.
I've had mine for nearly two years, I reckon it's not a bad motor. Only troubles have been caused by lack of maintenance (failure to replace HOAT antifreeze on time, result clogged rad. and blown open thermostat needing expensive replacements).
Also these motors will shift if you floor the pedal, something I do once every journey to help clean carbon off the injectors. Other troubles have been battery (see my postings) but this winter so far there haven't been the usual flat battery moans on here, so someone must be reading those postings and taking action! Action you must take is to get the dealer to fix all the faults you know about, no excuses. You're paying after all.
Welcome to this forum, and happy motoring with your GV.

Leedsman.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:13 AM

Welcome back!

Im on 98,000 now, just yesterday had the rear crankshaft oil seal replaced.
Hopefully a few miles left in the old girl yet.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 AM

I would check the maintenance/repair history if possible.
Especially for:
Clutch
Cranckshaft oil seal
Distribution belt
Serpentine belt
waterpump
alternator
At least in a 2002 2.5 CRD (almost same engine I presume) those are the possible repairs you can expect at 100.000+ km

Last edited by Vmaxxer; 02-24-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:41 AM

Thanks Chaps,

Good to be back and more looking forward to ditching this pile of .... Citroen and get a GV again!
QinteQ, travelmad, good to hear from you and glad to see you're still about and still going strong with yours too.

Thanks Leedsman, yes my thinking too shouldn't need it, my old one had 130k on the clock and started perfected every time, so am waiting to hear what the car garage reckons when they've done some work to solve it before I go for another test drive.

Thanks again folks

Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 AM

Did you get one then Andy ?

Old 03-26-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Also passenger side, front of wheel there is a metal strut that is hanging, not fastened. Couldn't spot what it was/off, but doesn't look major (not like a suspension rod, etc, probably a shield bracket).
Andy
My 2008 GV was missing it's engine undertray when I bought it, I didn't notice it was missing until I came to do an oil change. It was then that I noticed a metal bracket hanging down from the nearside inner wheel well. It was only thin gauge steel angled at the bottom end. I came to the conclusion that it was part of the fixing for the undertray so I removed the bracket.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Undertray, what's that, Ah, err no not got one. Move, yes they can move not half, can even go round corners quite fast as on my narrow single carriageway roads around me. That's something for a car weighing over 2 ton as someone says.
Still can't find another car to equal its carrying potential, pass Arctic's with 5 cars up its behind without fuss and yet be comfy as hell.
I would get another one no question.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:28 AM

Ah you know what? I missed out on that one, the garage never called me back after they were taking a look at a few of the little things I pointed out to them.
I suspect they didn't want a 'picky' customer! So trying to track down another one for decent price and mileage.

Just trying to get the time to go find one is the problem now as I've spied one but it's a 2hr drive from here, so not exactly local!

I'll keep looking, I'm determined to re-join the club as I did love mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a GV again!