Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Default A/C problem

I have a 01 town and country and am having problems with the ac clutch not engaging.. to give you a little history on how this occurred, we were driving home one night and all of sudden the van lost all power and we could smell raw fuel, well I did some research and found out that my fuel rail wiring harness was prone to melting since it is so close to the exhaust, and when I removed the insulation from I found all the wiring was exposed and all the wires were touching causing fuel injector number five to remain open the whole time, I was able to get the vehicle home that night driving extremely slow but noticed that a lot of the electrical components were not working properly, after replacing the fuel rail wiring harness the van runs great, but now the ac clutch will not engage, I have jumped the relay in the fuse control box with a paper clip and can hear the clutch engage, have also replaced the relay itself and also the BCM, can anyone direct me where to go next, this is driving me nuts.. thank you

Old 09-05-2016, 02:34 PM

have been told that it could be my HVAC wire harness could someone also verify that this could be the problem before I replace it as well

Old 09-05-2016, 03:20 PM

ensure ac system is properly charged with the right gas ( R134/R134A ect...)
check all fuses and relays for hvac
verify wiring going to ac compressor clutch isnt shorted/ burned or disconnected
use voltmeter to check for 12V at ac clutch when car running and a/c on.

Obviously, the wiring harness could be at fault.... but so could 100's of other things... what your asking to verify is the same as asking ...

My living room light wont come on, can you verify the house wiring is bad ? ...

obviously that could be the problem, but the bulb may just be burned out...

Need to check, step by step and see what the problem is, since wires have already melted and shorted, start first with inspecting the wiring going to the ac clutch...if that is okay, test it for power as stated above, if thats okay we start from scratch and verify you got the right pressure in system...

Old 09-06-2016, 01:57 PM

sorry I forgot to mention that the system is at the proper pressure of 55lbs, but I have not checked for 12 volts at the compressor I will do that and post my results, thank you