Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caravan05 - 6 disc DVD Player Not Working- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Default Caravan05 - 6 disc DVD Player Not Working- HELP!

Hi,

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 05 model. The 6 disc DVD player inside
decided to stop working.

I went to add a disc to spot 3 and it wouldn't load so I waited and then tried to eject disc 2. It made some noise but not like it was shuffling. Disc 2 never came out and wouldn't play either. I waited and then I pressed disc 1 and it began to play once it shuffled to it.

When I got to where I was going I had asked my brother to take a look at it. He has done several after market and radio/dvd installs so I figured he would know.

He got disc 2 out but then disc 1 wouldn't work or eject! So the battery was disconnected in the hopes that it would reset. That didn't work so he removed the player from the dash and disconnected it. We put it back in and the player went through what sounded like shuffling but then it flashed all 6 lights and then went to flashing 3 and 3 left to right and the on the radio screen it just said ERROR.

We took the player apart and got the dvd out. There was nothing loose or broken inside the the player so I still don't know why it won't work. The Radio and CD work fine and is still in, and the pull down screen works fine and is also still installed.

So I am hoping someone can help me as to what I can do. Is there a trick I can do to reset or fix my player? Or can I put in another Chrysler 6 disc player or better yet would a Chrysler 1 disc player work with all my existing stuff?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-12-2009, 01:27 AM

As in the other post, you can check with MrCD1 on ebay for a 6 disc unit (or a single). I think the single disc may work but you may lose some functionality when you use the headphones if you ever do. It depends if it is and IR or RF system.

Did you guys break anything when you took the unit apart? Did you try it after you pulled it apart? Sometimes handling components fixes things. Did you try to run it with the cover off to see what it tries to do when loading discs?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:43 AM

Yes we tried it with the face plate off and it sounded like it was going to work and so we put the cover back on and it did the flashing lights and ERROR.

Once it was put back together with no disc inside we tried it again and we even tried disconnecting the battery in hopes that it would reset. Still the same thing flashing lights, then 3 and 3 and the error message on the radio.

No, we didn't break anything when it was taken apart. We only opened up as much as we needed to, to get the disc out.

Well we don't use the head phones now but I'm sure we would be in the future just right now a 2 year old is going to leave them on his head. How do I know if they are an IR or RF system?

Thanks

Old 09-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Take a look at this picture.. I have the overhead rail system but most IR screens are similar.. a red plastic portion that faces backwards. It sends the IR signal back to the headphones. When you take a digital picture(point and shoot camera) you can see the IR signals emitting.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Also, my 6 disc IR version is (you can see the Part Number on it) Also.. there is a pin out on the diagram that says IR transmit enable or something like that. Pin 3
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Also. if you have the headphones and they have a power and volume button only (no scan button) you most likely have an IR system. I say most likely because if you are not he original owner, who knows what was mix matched on your system. That being said, I would grab a 6 disc unit from MrCD1. I know I plug him a lot but he is a trusted source(12 years now on ebay) and guarantees his products. And.. he will get you the correct units. His prices are a little higher than other sellers but the quality and service are what drives this. Matter of fact, the screen I linked you to I bought from MrCD since our van did not come with it. Let us know how it goes.
Fixit

Frankly the 6 disc system is usually a pretty good unit and offers a lot of flexibility. My kids are 5 , 3 and 3 and we are getting to the point where we can start using the headphones and it will be nice when they can listen/watch their stuff and the wife and I can listen to what we want.

Last edited by mrfixit454; 09-12-2009 at 01:45 PM.