Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Chrysler grand voyager gearbox help (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/chrysler-grand-voyager-gearbox-help-26830/)

Voygerboy 12-13-2016 03:33 PM

Hi all an update codes revealed input output sensor and tcm so gonna do this the weekend will update if I sort it

MORE HELP NEEDED

1998 3.3 auto decided tonight that I'd leave work drive 1mile meet a car down the lane reverse back 100yards lets him pass then puts it in d to drive forward and it won't go anywhere no reverse nothing I switched engine off restarted and put in to d and it engaged drove until 10mph when it wanted to change into 2nd and then free wheeled I.e neutral no drive help please oh is the old girl dead leaving me with 2 voyagers off the road

Vonhofinvule 12-14-2016 11:56 AM

Have you checked the transmission fluid levels? Low fluid levels would be my first guess.

Voygerboy 12-14-2016 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule (Post 98459)
Have you checked the transmission fluid levels? Low fluid levels would be my first guess.

Did dip it today but it seems ok level wise but think it's burnt and thin like water so gonna change it but gonna try repairing the 51 plate tomorrow and then the 1998 the weekend I'll keep ya posted

Vonhofinvule 12-15-2016 04:46 AM

That would do it. But if you do change the oil I'd also consider doing a filter change. It inexpensive and easy ti do

Voygerboy 12-15-2016 09:39 AM

Gonna change oil and filter on the 98 tomorrow and will let you know mate if that sorts her as for the 51 plate I've changed input output sensors and have done earth wire from battery to body and engine but got it up to 65 with out surging hunting but was doing over 5000 revs so hopefully got surging hunting sorted just won't change up still but have key danced again and got code p1684 and p0700 will p1684 is coz battery was dead and had to jump Start but 0700 is tcm fault would you just change tcm or what would you do next regards Paul

Voygerboy 12-17-2016 08:25 AM

P0732 code

HELP no reverse got drive only to 10mph then slips if I turn ignition off then on again will repeat cycle have just spent £63 on atf+4 from Chrysler but still nothing 😭 help please

Vonhofinvule 12-21-2016 10:21 AM

How far did you drive it and how hard when it first began to slip, because its sounding like its had its friction surfaces wiped out.

Voygerboy 12-21-2016 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule (Post 98544)
How far did you drive it and how hard when it first began to slip, because its sounding like its had its friction surfaces wiped out.

About 1mile put it in reverse made funny noise then reversed 50ft then put in drive it engaged then slipped at 10mph into natural and what do you mean friction surfaces wiped out ?

Vonhofinvule 12-25-2016 05:33 AM

Inside your auto transmission there are a number of what is known as wet clutches. These are small clutch bands or plates which are coated in oil, they actually look similar to a motorcycle clutch, however each one is coated in a friction material. As you drive your transmission controller engages and disengage these clutches to select the various gears.

This is a very crude explanation but basically if your transmission begins to slip, its these clutches that are slipping, usually due to old or low trans oil. Now if this happens and you drive too far or rev the engine excessively to make the vehicle move you can overheat these clutches and burn off the friction surfaces.

Unfortunately, if this occurs then there's no way around it, you're looking at a rebuild or a replacement transmission.