Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fans Acting up (Whats Next)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Default Cooling Fans Acting up (Whats Next)

po420 Code, now Last night I started teh van and noticed about 1 sec after start the darn cooling fans were running, I know it was sitting for approx 15 min so no way it could be hot enough to trigger them.
I made sure no Defrost, No A/C, No Fan, This thing Is killing me I bought a 2005 with nder 80K hoping it would not be a money sponge, MaybeI shoudl of kept the 92 Caravan.
SO what in the heck could cause this? I have to go to Autozone to return a tool I borrowed so maybe I will get a MIL light so I know what else I need to purchase.
Cat convertor, Now who knows what Probably be a NGC or something rediculously expensive like that.
I wish I bought a 70's Duster or Demon or Cuda at least those don't wack out due to computer or Sensor tantrums. LOL
Thanks in advance for any input, I tried to search but got alot of nothing pertaining to what I had asked in search figures

Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

did the fans turn off after some time?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 AM

Well last night I never left it running long enough to find out but I do know the A/C was Off, It was on Feet not Defrost, The fan was off and the temp guage showed 1/4 of half way between cold and middle.
THey ran for about 3 min I imagine then I was done with what I was listening for so I shut it off.
Now Today started fine no fans, once warmed up fans cycled like normal then all of a siudden up popped a Malfunction Light.
Now I have a P0135 Code stating O2 Heater is not a team player.
Funny thing is according to the tests I can do from the 2005 RG Powertrain PDF and the 2005 RG Service Manual PDF The heating Curcuit passes fine. Now I did read where new O2 Sensors take time for the computer to learn it's characteristics. SInce I accidentally Killed teh previous upstream O2 Sensor I had to replace it.
I wonder how long it will take for the System to get accustomed to new O2 Sensor?
The Fan thing was the weirdest thing I have ran across yet in this van.
I just hope I am not at the Nickle and Dime ya to death Phase of this Model. Not to mention the pull your hair till ya resemble Kojack Frustration the Malfunction light brings with it.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

"I did read where new O2 Sensors take time for the computer to learn"
That is BS who ever told U that has no business telling people that.
There is no learning curve for things like that and if the check engine light comes on that means the sensor or wire or pcm issue is out of its programing range that is why it comes on to begin with.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM

Cooling fan relays like to go bad on these vans. I've changed mine 2X in 150K on our 2005 T&C with 3.8 motor. Both times fans would constantly run after shutoff.

Easy fix (rockauto.com for best price.. also google "rockauto discount code" to get a 5% off code).

If it turns out to be that.

Remove grill, look to the right, mounted on the bumper support.

JK

Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Oh that Jackasses at the parts store I swear they are lucky I don't slap the crap out of them when they do this. I mean think of the people who don't know of forums like this or maybe are just barely able to repair minor stuff and these idiots tell them Truckloads of BS like this.
Ya what was weird was first day after installing O2 1/1 I ran it oh about 5 min just to make sure I had no leaks or any Malfunction light and all was great. Next day though I started it up and I think the light came in within 10 min, I know it was after 3 min as I remember looking at time and thinking 3 min went by fast lol.
@johnny K thanks for the tip, I am glad my issue was temporary and not one as mentioned where fan runs while engine is off. I have heard of that in alot of vehicles, Even heard of it happening while people were either sleeping or shopping. Locked up car and everything was off and fine and next time they get in either find battery dead as the economy or a fan running for no reason.