Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Crankshaft Oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Default Crankshaft Oil seal

Hi,
I replaced the bushes on stablizer bar this weekend and while under the car I notice some drips of oil coming from where the gearbox joins the engine, from what I understand it`s the crankshaft oil seal. I have a number of questions on this, if someone can please help

1. What oil is leaking? Gearbox or Engine?
2. Is the job difficult? Or a competent person be able to do it?
3. will tightening the bolts help stop the leak, or will it make it worse
4. If i take the car to a garage what can I expect to pay?
5. I`ve never removed a gearbox before, Is it just a case of removing parts around the gearbox to gain access, drain the gearbox oil, remove all the bolts attaching the gearbox (do you need anything to take the weight? jack?) remove the gearbox or is it just the casing? replace the seals and refit the gearbox, fill it up with oil. Job done??????????

Any instructions or pic on gearbox removal and seal replacements would be good.

Thanks for any advice

Pete

Last edited by petewxm; 05-20-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 AM

anyone??????????

Old 05-22-2009, 10:24 AM

hi, i had same problem, check my thread, should help you.. https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...kshaft+oilseal. in answer to your questions:- 1. engine oil, 2. experienced mech with a ramp would be ideal, in hindsight, didn't seem that difficult, but try to gather as much info as poss. beforehand and take advantage of the knowledge of members on this forum and you will probably be ok. 3. that's one for an experienced member to answer. 4. i decided to replace clutch as well as i just bought it (02 2.5crd with 80000miles) was quoted from £150 up to £300, some garages refused to touch it. seal is £75 inc. vat, comes with 2 O rings which you definitely need, from dealer. 5. quite straightforward if you have a ramp, gearbox supported on a jack. again more experienced members will advise you better. good luck

Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the advice, I may have a shot at it, so in your experience of doing it, It was straight forward, How long did it take??

1. put car on ramps drain oil
2. remove bolts holding gearbox,
3. allow the gearbox weight to rest on the jack, slowly lower the gearbox
4. locate and replace seals
5. Jack gearbox up and bolt into place
6. fill with oil

Also if I take the gearbox off I`ll probably replace the clutch aswell, How much did the clutch cost you and is it a case of replacing the old one with the new one, No special tools or expertise needed????

I think I`m going to have to buy a manual, I guess all the bolts have touque settings?

Thanks for the advice

Pete

Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 AM

clutch kit cost from £117(bluepoint adl) upto nearly £300 from dealers. i had problems after going for the cheap solution. but i don't know if it was defective clutch or defective mechanic there is a buzzing vibration/ slight judder as clutch engages. mechanic said it was out of line spring fingers. as he had to take off gearbox twice to replace a O ring behind crankshaft housing he missed 1st time around, he tweaked clutch plate as well, there was an improvement but problem did not completely go away. when ringing around one garage said they would not be able to do clutch as a special tool would be needed. manual cd off ebay will give you a better idea as it shows special tools so you would probably be able to decide if you could use "normal " tools for job. from what the guys on here say, you should be ok. but i would arm myself with as much knowledge beforehand as is possible. you should be able to do it in a day. sorry, i can't give clear, concise answers, good luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 AM

I have the same problem mate, Got the parts (seals) It came to £110 from a main dealer. I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the oil and used a gasket re-sealant which is poured in with the new oil. Only got it done on Friday 3rd July and it can take a couple of weeks to work. I will let you know how it turns out.It may not work but I still have all the gaskets and seals if it doesnt.I priced how much it would cost in a main dealers, The guy said it would take Apox 4-5 hours at £75 an hour so its not cheap but at the same time you would have peace of mind that the job is done correctly.And it is engine oil that is leaking I asked the same thing,Gearbox oil has a potent smell from it.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by duffer
I have the same problem mate, Got the parts (seals) It came to £110 from a main dealer. I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the oil and used a gasket re-sealant which is poured in with the new oil. Only got it done on Friday 3rd July and it can take a couple of weeks to work. I will let you know how it turns out.It may not work but I still have all the gaskets and seals if it doesnt.I priced how much it would cost in a main dealers, The guy said it would take Apox 4-5 hours at £75 an hour so its not cheap but at the same time you would have peace of mind that the job is done correctly.And it is engine oil that is leaking I asked the same thing,Gearbox oil has a potent smell from it.
Where do you live? My local Chrysler dealer (Hertfordshire) has quoted £110 + VAT per hour for labour, so yours is cheap by comparison.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:55 PM

I am in N. Ireland mate. Its the chrysler dealer on the boucher RD in belfast owned by charles hurst,

Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by duffer
I am in N. Ireland mate. Its the chrysler dealer on the boucher RD in belfast owned by charles hurst,
Ah, a bit far for me to travel for a service then :-O

Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 PM

travel down to the southwest for a holiday I'll match that hourly rate.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Oil seal