Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperate need of Help Noisey tappets

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Default Desperate need of Help Noisey tappets

Hi There, I have had my Grand Voyager for just over a month now, i have noticed a tapping sound in the engine, which has started to get really bad. It's none exixstant when cold , but sounds like a diesel when warm. Whats the remdy?

1) i have poured hydraulic lift leaner in engine, but this has proved no help.

2) could it be the oil pump or oil intake pipe being caught up in sludge?

3) Am i looking at a big repair cost :-(

4) the oil loks virtually brand new in the engine, and at a guess it looks like a thin oil?

PLEASE, PLEASE OFFER A SOLUTIONAS I AM GETTING VARIED RESPONSES FROM MECHANICS WHO HAVE ALL GIVEN A DIFFERENT OPINION, USULALLY EXPENSIVE ONES !!!! AM I REALLY LOOKING AT A BILL OF £1000 REPAIR.

pLEASE HELP, tHANKS AGAIN !!!

NIC

Old 03-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Default RE: Desperate need of Help Noisey tappets

easy and cheap things to do:
-inspect oil pan. if it's twisted, maybe you don't have enough oil in the engine.
-try new oil. tappets usually start their song when oil is not thick enough. engine type would help in search for proper oil.
-every better mechanic should have pressure gauge to check for oil pressure. do it. that would tell you the condition of the engine and oil pump.
-if there is no sludge in the upper engine, I don't think there is any in the oil pump.

what's the mileage on that car?

Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

what engine size?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:09 PM

Many Thanks for the reponses !!!!

My Voyager has just hit 80,000 miles on the clock.

I have checked the oil, and to be fair, it does look very thin and has a white tinge to it (Not mixing with water) I'm wondering whether the white tinge is due to the Hydraulic lift cleaner maybe?

Would you suggest i fist try cghanging the Oil and filter? If so, what grade would you recommend? 5w/40.

Appreciate yout thoughts on this one.

Nic[&:]

Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM

just to repeat what Chrysler Tech said:
what engine size?
how are we supposed to help if we don't know which engine you have? it's not all the same, you know.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 PM

Apologies fella's !!!

An innocent ommission was that i have the Grand Voyager 2001 year 3.3litre.

Hope it helps. Thanks again !!!!

[&:]

Old 03-10-2008, 03:59 AM

what you have in that engine is self-adjusted-valves. hidraulic tappets.

after 80 000 miles, it's really unlikely that your tappets are worn out.

for start, do this:
-change engine oil. specs SJ/A2-98. you can use 5W30 for normal temperatures or 10W30 if you live in hot areas. 10W40 would also do a good job. nothing further can be done without new oil, especially since you own it for less then a month and you can't be sure when was it changed last time. don't buy the cheapest oil you can find. stay on the same brand if you know it.

-after this, if tappets will still be heard, check oil pressure (in service). it should be between 2,0 and 5,5 bars on 3 000 rpm.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 AM

the garage have taken my car in saying its too dangerous to drive and that the bottom ends are gone? or the crankshaft? how involved a job is this?

comments appreciated.

Nic. [X(]

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM

bottom ends of what?
was there more noise? what was happening with the engine?

bad news: if it's bad crankshaft, you need engine overhaul.

you said:
I have checked the oil, and to be fair, it does look very thin and has a white tinge to it (Not mixing with water) I'm wondering whether the white tinge is due to the Hydraulic lift cleaner maybe?
was this inside the whole engine? when you press your finger inside the valve cover, it leaves white-ish or gray-ish residue on your finger? what does the oil feeler cap look from the inside?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM

reply to i wonder:

The oil filler cap is ok no mayannaise or cream/sludge in it, which is a positive sign yes?

Apparently the bearings in the crankshaft have gone? my car has only done 81000 miles, is this the result of using a poor grade oil?

One more question How do i go about getting a fob for car and getting it re-programmed. the dealers are charging me £120 surely there's gotta be a cheaper way?

If anyone knows i'm sure the guys on this site will.

Thanks again.

Nic[&:]

Quick Reply: Desperate need of Help Noisey tappets