Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disturbing metallic rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Default Disturbing metallic rattling noise

Dear chrysler enthusiast!

I own '04 voyager and I'm very proud of it. But there is one thing that is starting to get on my nerves. When driving over some smaller holes on the road I hear a metallic noise somewhere from the bottom of right sliding doors. But if I slightly hold down the break pedal when driving over the holes the noise is gone. As soon as I release the brake pedal it starts to rattle again. The sound is like quick banging of two metals together.

Since the noise is not present when you hold down the break my first tought was that there is something loose on the rear right wheel even tough the sound seems to be comming from the right sliding doors. So i took the wheel off, have the break disk cleaned, and put everything back together. But it didn't helped. I can't find the source of that rattling sound so I'm asking you, if you might be having any idea of what could be the source for such noise. And why the noise is not present while breaking?

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM

front anti roll bar links quite common

Old 03-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Nope. That kind of noise would be comming from the front under. But the noise I'm having is literally comming from somwhere under the rear passenger's sliding door. From somewhere near the rear wheel...
Besides ne noise is not present during breaking. So it has do do something with brakes or break installation???... :??

Old 03-19-2011, 02:21 PM

I`d bet it`s the air con lines loose and knocking against the chassis.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 AM

Air con lines are also in the front of the car not on the sideback. Beside that, loose air con lines would bang constantly no matter if you hold down the break or not.

Last edited by Up4Si; 03-20-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:01 AM

umm... Check your lugnuts.....Now...shutdown you computer, put on some shoes and go...NOW...

Old 03-20-2011, 01:36 PM

No, really?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:19 PM

yes....Really

Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 AM

Lugnuts are all properly tightened! The wheel has been off and on several times. Each time tightened back on with pneumatic gun at proper force and hand checked with torque wrench!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 AM

This noise is driving me insane!

Does anyone has any more ideas of what could be producing it? It bangs really loud while drivnig over some small bumps but it does not bang if you slightly hold down the break while driving over them! It's comming from the rear passenger side (rear right wheel perhaps).
The car has already been at the mechanic who took the wheel off, checked the caliper and all the nuts but everything was properly tightened.

Ideas?

Quick Reply: Disturbing metallic rattling noise