Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doesent any one know?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Default doesent any one know?????

Hi guys.... I am wondering if anyone can give me some information on changing the fuel filter on this model of car. I have looked under the bonnet and I can see a canister type thing with a black plunger on it in between the engine and radiator. I presume this is the fuel filter and the black plunger is for priming after replacement. Firstly.. the canister type thing I see.. is this the actual fuel filter or is this some sort of housing, is the fuel filter inside this canister? also is this the only fuel filter on this car?... after replacement when I pump the primer is there anything I need to undo to let the air out? if so where is it? and finally can anyone post an ebay link to the right filter I need to do this job? also do I need any special tools or is it a case of just spinning the old filter off and spinning a new one back on and do I need to fill up the new filter with diesel before installing. Your help on this is much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Nick

Old 01-28-2015, 02:12 PM

My 2003 2.5crd fuel filter is underneath near rear axle and from threads on here the 2.8 has filter as you say is between rad and engine with a helpful purge pump on it. So you are prob right in unscrewing the bowl on underside to get filter out.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:57 AM

The canister you see is the fuel filter. There isn't a seperate filter inside just the complete canister that you unscrew and replace. I needed a strap spanner to replace mine as it was fairly tight. When you install the new one just make sure the old o ring has been removed else you will get air in fuel issues. You need to raise the front of the vehicle and remove the under tray.
You can top it up the new filter with diesel if you like but not entirely necessary as the primer pump will fill it up after a good 15-20 pumps. There is a small bleed nipple on the side of the housing which I believe is 11mm. I used a length of clear pipe and an empty bottle and pumped until it came out bubble free, similar to bleeding brakes. Then tighten bleed nipple and pump primer until rock solid then start engine.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:43 AM

Assuming its a 2.8 CRD, the (1) spin-oil filter is here - make sure the white plastic screw on water trap is tight & not loose. Most regular service jobs are given to 'learners' and the simple omission of checking the spin~on is tight / O ring was oiled, and the water trap [the white bit on this filter] is not loose. Frequently these schoolboy omissions are the cause of filters working slack causing all sorts of misery tracing the fault. A decent scanner of course would give a better pointer - but this easily eliminated.

When you have changed the filter use the hand primer to pull the diesel through to pressure.

Last edited by QinteQ; 01-29-2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Assuming its a 2.8 CRD
Old 01-29-2015, 06:38 AM

Can I ask if on a 2002 2.5CRD the fuel filter is under the back axle and I believe it is just a cartridge filter that you replace if I have read correctly on an old post, but do you have to prime/pump after replacement or does the pump automatically do this? just wondered because after looking through service history its been 5 years since mine was last replaced

Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
My 2003 2.5crd fuel filter is underneath near rear axle and from threads on here the 2.8 has filter as you say is between rad and engine with a helpful purge pump on it. So you are prob right in unscrewing the bowl on underside to get filter out.
So the fuel filter is the rear axle. Wow

Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 PM

For those who don't know, but want to get better structured answers to their questions more quickly, putting your country code and engine type in the SIG line in to your profile helps everyone from any country .. .. to help you. For example GoTo > Quick Links < on the top black banner line, click it, then select > Edit Signature < will allow you to tell others what exact vehicle you have. See below as an example :

2005 Grand Voyager CRD Ltd Edn 2.8L Turbo Diesel Long Wheelbase EURO Wagon (4th Gen [Mk IV] - RG - 53 - H Series) [ US Town & Country Ltd ]
GoTo > Quick Links < on the top white on black banner line, click it, then selecting > Edit Your Details < from the drop down menu, will allow you to tell others which exact country you are in, in my case the UK.

UK
- and yes pre-filling the can with clean diesel saves using the primer pump or avoids flattening a battery filling the can.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:09 PM

you know what I mean, ok I should have said next to fuel tank