Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Dumping coolant GV 2002 2.5CRD from rear of teh engine

Old 11-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Question Dumping coolant GV 2002 2.5CRD from rear of teh engine

Hello fellow voyagers, I have been losing coolant for a few weeks now and couldn't find out why until today, When the car is running on idle I can not see where the leak was coming from but then after putting my foot on the accelerator it started to just flow down onto the road. It seems to be coming from the rear of the engine and couldn't pin point it as I do not have any axle stands yet so was very restricted on what I could see but does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
its a Grand Voyager 2002 (52 plate) 2.5CRD (Diesel)

Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 PM

Could quite possibly be the thermostat housing leaking or a pipe going to the thermostat. Could potentially be the water pump as that is towards the rear of the engine drivers side behind the cam cover. Hopefully it's just a pipe that has been dislodged. Need to remove the wiper assembly to get a better look really.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:42 PM

As you have no stands, try a mirror of the right size and a bright lamp. If my memory serves me right, these 'stats have more than two coolant connexions.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 11-30-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:47 PM

I would suspect a leak in the rubber hose! Could be just a hose clip comimg lose! But as you rev the engine up, so does the pressure within the coolant system! Is the leak look like it's coming from the timing belt side? The drivers side? Could be a water pump leak? You need pin point this asap or get it to a trusted garage...

Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Seems to be coming from a more central position then drivers side, best I could see from under the car was a lot of wet black small pipes and a wet silver thing that had a curved shape but was the best I could see without the hot coolant falling on my face. I will have to try taking the wipers off etc and I really am hoping it is at worse the thermostat. just wasn't sure because on youtube I could only find petrol versions and the thermostat looks to be at the front of the engine so was unsure if our diesel was at the rear but yes only leaks when foot on the gas so fingers crossed

Old 11-30-2014, 01:26 PM

Dare I say Auxiliary heater or its supply hoses. Hoses and pipes middle rear engine. Heater under passenger seat for your 2002.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Thank you, hopefully the weather stays dry tomorrow and I can try and get a better look. god please let it just be a hose lol

Old 11-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Make sure you use the correct coolant and de-ionized water. G05. I used water out of our dehumidifier.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Old 01-07-2015, 01:11 PM

sorry not updated this post, car has been in the garage last 2 days getting the water pump replaced and hopefully will have it back tomorrow, yes only just in the garage now, I know I put it off a bit longer than I wanted but been in really poor health and Sick pay doesn't give me much to pay the bills never mind a new water pump job haha Thanks for the advice on Anti-freeze from comma, also got myself some Comma ATF+4 so I can top up the power steering fluid and manual gearbox

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumping coolant GV 2002 2.5CRD from rear of teh engine