Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Post Electrical Issues

I have a 2002 Town & Country EX.

The airbag light stays on. The horn and cruise control work fine.

The rear wiper works intermittedly.

Occasionally, the turn signals will get confused. Signaling a right turn might activate the left turn indicator, no turn indicator or both indicators. Adjusting the steering wheel up and down restores the turn signals but the rear wiper and airbag light are unaffected.

I assume the problem is wiring. Can all three problems be related? I've tried the local dealer twice but their fixes were temporary. In the case of the airbag light, the first fix lasted less than a month (supposedly a loose wire). The second fix lasted about 6 months (replaced a module - don't remember which one - parts and labor was north of $300). After 6 months or so, the airbag light started coming on intermittedly. Now it stays on solid. The turn signals act up 2 or 3 times a year. For now, adjusting the steering wheel restores them to normal operations. The wiper issue is fairly recent. The airbag is my greatest concern.

Can someone recommend a reasonably priced scanner that will display airbag codes and a way to self diagnose this problem?

Thanks for any help

Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Can someone recommend a reasonably priced scanner that will display airbag codes and a way to self diagnose this problem?
There really isnt one.......Some of the generic code scanners do perform ABS, SRS, and body functions...But unless you go HIGH END on a scantool, All you have is a code...with no data to direct you......

A loose wire, a bad clockspring, a bad ORC module.....Bad sensors, "Squirrel damage"....The list goes on and on.... Your only saving grace is that the light is on steady.....and it will not leave until ...IT CEASES TO SEE A CURRENT FAULT.....

The airbag light stays on. The horn and cruise control work fine.
A faulty Clockspring does not necessarily fail ALL components at the same time......It can.....But it isnt Bullet Proof for diagnosis purposes.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:40 PM

I have taken my '02 T&C in several times to repair the airbag light that won't stay off. They do something with the seatbelt tensioner and a few weeks later the light is back on. Now I am ready to sell or trade and I'm in a fix. I've been living with the light on but can't sell it like this. Was there ever a recall? Will Chrysler do anything about this since it is clearly a problem that affected this model? Please advise. Thank you!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have never seen an issue with a seat belt pre tensioner on van only sebring convertibles

Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM

I had this issue on a 02 T/C driver side seat Belt& retractor took 45 minutes cost $273.71 which was causing the oil bag light to come on.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM

Speaking of seat belts, I have noticed that the warning light does not come on if the front passenger is not wearing the seat belt. Maybe that's part of my problem.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:35 AM

Did you find any solution to your problem?

I have exactly the same problems with our 01 T&C. Turn signal, wipers, driver window and now this airbag light on top of it all. Dealership has no clue what the problem is, and car won't pass safety inspection with airbag light on.
Horn and cruise control both work fine, so I am hesitant to take apart the steering column to replace the clockspring.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

as mentioned in posts b4 get a scanner on it and then read the codes it will point in the direction needed for the repair.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by chryslertc01
Did you find any solution to your problem?
Sorry but no. I've wasted enough money on dealer attempts to repair it and until I get a better idea of the problem, I'm not willing to tackle it myself. It's no longer my family hauler (got a Honda Odyssey for that) and 'm not planning on getting rid of it any time soon (unless something major breaks). So for now, I'm just living with it. Luckily, safety inspections are not required in Georgia.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by EdKnigmah
Luckily, safety inspections are not required in Georgia.
Lucky for WHO?

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues