Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Euro taillights on a Town and Country

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Default Euro taillights on a Town and Country

I live in the US and have a 2006 Town and Country and soon I'm moving to Sweden. I intend to bring the van with me, but to pass the inspection over there I need to have amber turn indicators. The rear the ones on my van are red.

I've managed to get a pair of euro taillights but they have 5 connectors for the lamps instead of 4 as the US version. It makes sense since the turn indicator uses one more wire.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the euro taillights on my van?

Any help is much appreciated.

Bjorn

Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 PM

Being as the stop light and turn signals are on the same circuit, this may be tough. You would need a separate wire coming from the turn signal circuit (like the front turn signals) but even if you did this, part of the red would probably blink as well. Unless you abandoned the the entire turn and stop wire and bring a wire from front turn signals to the back and used the 3rd brake light wire for the left and right brake light. Problem here is these circuits are designed to work as is and when you mess with them, you start setting codes or ruining modules.

They don't have waivers for cars brought in from the US?

Don't know your entire situation but why not sell it and pick up Diesel model over there.. I would love to have a Diesel version here in the US.

Fixit

Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 AM

Hmm, I just talked to a shop in Sweden that specialize in importing american cars. According to them it shouldn't be a problem, but they didn't want to tell me how though since they'd want me to buy the service from them. I just ordered a Haynes Repair manual, hopefully I can find some info in it about the wiring.

There are waivers for imported cars but you have to have owned it for more than a year for them to apply. I've only had mine 8 months.Finally about buying the car in Sweden. The main reason is money, I would have to spend $8000-$9000 more in Sweden to get the same kind of car. It might be hard to believe but american cars are often seen as premium cars in Sweden.

Do you have any idea where the module is mounted?

Thanks
Bjorn

Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Oh, I remember now about costs.. back in the late 80's we had some Swedish neighbors and when gas was $1/gal here they told us it was like $6 or $7/gal over there and we thought that was outrageous. I am not sure which module it is or where it is. There is the PCM (power control) BCM (body control) to name a few. I would suggest the Chrysler service manual on CD. They can be bought via the internet.

A friend here tried to add yellow turns to his RV trailer and he used some sort of converter from US to Euro (3 to 4 wire adapter I think) and when he hooked it all up, his Dodge truck through check engine lights because of the addition of this converter box. It appears some if not all of the module Chrysler uses can sense incorrect voltages or currents and can throw codes or simply blow a module.

I just want to make sure you understand the potential problems that could arise if you start changing the wiring. If you are not sure, this is probably better left to the place in Sweden that handles this. These modules can cost $500 easy.

Fixit

Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM

Bjorn,

Check this out from the minivan forum. This is what you are trying to do. Maybe you can contact this guy for tips?

http://gallery.chryslerminivan.net/m...?g2_itemId=742

Old 05-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Also.. here are guys that are doing it

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...ro+tail+lights

and here (which is a link form the about link)
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=4277

This is exactly what you are looking for. Let me know if it works for you
Fixit

Old 05-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Bjorn, now that I look at it, it may be a little different for the 04's and above. But some of the concepts may be the same.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Default Unsure about the wiring

Yeah, they've definitely done it. I read through the post and I can't quite figure out how he wired it in though.

The Euro taillight uses five pins in the connector and the US one only uses four. I sent Moby, who seemed to have actually done it, a PM. I hope he gets back to me.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Just a thought, but do you have a trailer hitch lighting wire on you van? If so, it may be possible to fiddle with that to accomplish what you need.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 PM

I saw the connector for the hitch in the wiring diagram but since I don't have a hitch I just didn't think about it. Do they use separate wires for the turn signals and break light? ...and where could I tap into those signals?

Thanks
Björn

Quick Reply: Euro taillights on a Town and Country