Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Faulty retracting mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Default Faulty retracting mirror

Chrysler Grand Voyager, 2004, automatic, CRD 2.8 edition

Having a slightly strange problem with the retracting wing mirrors. The drivers one operates as expected, you turn ignition off, switch the dashboard switch and get out, when doors close the mirror retracts. Unlock and open the door, mirror moves back out, switch works, etc.

However, the passenger one does this intermittantly. Sometimes it won't retract. Sometimes it retracts and won't extend back out, seems totally random. Any ideas on what this could be? I'm thinking maybe cable fault, so going to start with the wiring loom that loops out into the door, if that fails, whats the best way to get "into" the mirror assembly and starting to poke at the motor, etc, so I can multi-meter check it for voltage, jams, etc.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM

The way into the mirror is to remove the glass. To do this use the power controls to tilt the glass down as far as it will go so that the top is sticking out a bit from the housing. You can now push the glass up with your hands to slide it off its bracket.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Hm, I've got stuck. Have tilted it down, so the top is sticking out, but no matter what I try it doesn't appear to slide up.
What I can see inside is that the main mirror glass is attached to a round-like piece of plastic, and this is attached to the main motors mount, gently prising this shows some give, but then feels like its got additional clips/screws holding that together, so that seems a no-go.

What model is yours that you managed to slide the glass up on?

Anyway, I went for another approach too, removed the whole mirror assembly from the car, unclipped the cable clip, and started to look at it from the other side, but that only shows that the cables themselves seem fine, no damage, etc (cannot test as can't get into the mirror).

Anyone?

Thanks again!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:05 AM

Hi Andy, mine is a March 2004 Grand Voyager 2.5 TD (pre facelift).
I found out how to remove / replace the mirror glass the easy way. Some clown driving towards me used up too much road and smashed the mirror. It cost him £64.00 just for the glass so mind you don't break yours trying to remove it.
I'm certain that that's how I replaced my glass, perhaps yours is a tight fit.
Good Luck
Alan

Old 07-04-2011, 03:06 AM

Perhaps you could try swivelling the glass the other way so that the bottom is sticking out. You should be able to put more upwards pressure on it then.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Hi Andy,

If it helps, I Just did a little investigating for you on a spare mirror from a 2004 GV I happened to have lying around (after replacing the entire assembly as the retractor motor was f**ked). Yes, they are very tough to get out, but I found a way...

Be careful!

Rotate the mirror down so the bottom of the glass is "in", then insert a large bladed screwdriver in the gap and gently (but firmly) twist the driver. This should release the plastic lugs to allow you to remove the glass. There are four of these on the mount and the mount itself is glued to the glass with what appears to be double-sided foam

Also, note there are two wires running to the glass heater element, so dont pull the glass out once it's free until you can see to remove the spade tags. these are fragile too, so WD40 first!

Anyway. Hope this helps if you haven't already figured it out.

Cheers

Graham.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 AM

Hi Graham,
Thanks for that, I might give it a go at the weekend, being *very* careful as you suggest!
But rather interestingly, I have a problem where sometimes the central locking gives up (see my other posts), which happened the other day.
So I removed the battery as I normally do, leave it 5 minutes, when I reconnected it, the faulty mirror went through what looked like a calibration routine (run all the way out, in then back again), and since then its working again.

So that really confuses me, as when I had the whole mirror off I used my multi-meter to test for voltage when the mirror retract was activated and was getting voltage, so I'm wondering if they have some sort of sensing and disabled itself or something!

Will keep an eye, and post back on what happens. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:57 AM

I've just had my mirror broken by a passing van. I have a replacement glass on order (£10 on ebay for a heated convex glass - fits into the backing plate, not a stick on) but the motor is not happy - it has power running to it, but sounds like there may be a jam or broken tooth. Two questions -
1. I have removed the small access panel under the mirror and there are 4 small screws - if I undo these, does this give me access to the mechanism and is anything likely to ping out?
2. I have removed the top plastic trim on which gives me access to 2 bolts which look as if they are holding the mirror to the body, but the bottom plastic trim doesn't look as though it unclips - are there only 2 bolts holding the mirror or is there some way of removing the bottom trim that I haven't discovered?

Thanks

Edit - just found the solution to q2 - a very useful video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMNFUUos8qY

Still looking for the answer to q1 if anyone knows.

Last edited by actd; 11-21-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Found extra information on youTube
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM

I was an American GI traveling on a small country road in Scotland some years ago. As you know two approaching cars cleanly passing each other can be a challenge. On this particular event a car approached, I slowed down brushing the bushes on the left but we touched mirrors anyway. I stopped, he didn't. The glass was shattered and the housing cracked. The car rental agency wasn't at all concerned. They said it happens all the time. After reading these posts it sounds like some car manufacturers have made this less of a problem. Wish I had these folding mirrors on that day in Scotland.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Default Faulty mirror

Hi Andy,
I have a grand voyager, 2006 model and I'm having exactly the same
Mirror fault as it sounds like you are having.
Somedays it works fine and others it just doesn't want to play!!
I've had the mirror swapped but it still does it, did you figure out the problem as its driving me nuts!!!!
If I have things on the car I like them to work!!!

Many thanks mate,

Marty.