Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Foggy headlight lenses

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Default Foggy headlight lenses

My lenses look foggy and tired. Is there a way of making them look new again?

Thanks

Old 05-07-2015, 01:59 PM

There's a thing, does the lens come away from the casing. Emmm wait.......Possibly as mine has a rubber seal between glass and plastic case. There is also retainer mounts on case to hold glass in place. May need sealant though if you do manage to get them off.
Mine needing cleaned inside as well...

Old 05-07-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
There's a thing, does the lens come away from the casing. Emmm wait.......Possibly as mine has a rubber seal between glass and plastic case. There is also retainer mounts on case to hold glass in place. May need sealant though if you do manage to get them off.
Mine needing cleaned inside as well...

Thanks. Thought it would be a simple process

Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 AM

I seem to remember there were a few "how to" postings for lens refurbishment on this very website a couple or so years ago. And someone had produced a kit for same.
In case you can get them apart, the lenses should be restorable with jeweller's rouge, that pink powder. In fact any glass cleaner that's pink will almost certainly have the jeweller's rouge in it. It's hard work though -- the rouge only takes off a minute surface amount of the thing being polished. That's how it gets things so shiny. Some silver cleaners also have the rouge in them, plus a tarnish shifter. This should not upset a plastic or glass lens.

Leedsman.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:31 AM

Try this
I used a similar product and polished the lens with my DAP polish machine after removing deep scratches with very fine waterproof sandpaper and my headlights look like new. It really makes your car look 5 years younger

Old 05-08-2015, 01:25 PM

Usually the foggy look is due to some form of minute deposits, ie salt, sticking then hardening to the lens. You can get great results just by using P2000 wet & dry sandpaper and then using a fine cutting compound and a buffing machine to shine the glass. I have done this before on mine and friends cars. The lenses on my current GV are still looking like new and obviously lighting up the road well which is more important than looks.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Lots of product[s] and how to's on youtube

Old 05-08-2015, 04:03 PM

Try tcut first.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:32 PM

Brasso ?

Old 05-10-2015, 09:25 AM

Indeed there are lots of products for this.
Personally I love the Meguiar products, I use their range of products to keep the 30 year old "signalred" paint of my Mercedes in good condition.
I tried a lot of different brands but Meguiar came out best. Meguiar is expensive but well worth it imho.

Quick Reply: Foggy headlight lenses