Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Noise issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Default Front Noise issue

Message for Chrysler Tech (as you seem to know just about everything!) Have read threads on front end noise but cannot pin down this issue and I'm starting to worry it's gonna end in tears!

I have a 2.5TDI UK spec voyager (had it from new)and have replaced most of the usual worn parts as it's a 2000 year model with 110k miles.In the last 12 months have fitted new front N/S bearing/hub, track rod end, sway bar stabiliser. New tyres, wheels balanced and tracking done. More recently havestarted to get a rattle over bumpy ground so changedboth sway bar bushes, no difference. It's almost as ifthe battery tray is loose. (I checked it isn't that!) So, no obvious wear in any of the above.The strut mounting all looks tight andOK as does the steering rack. There is no obvious feeling of anything comingthrough the steering, pedals or when braking etc. I'm starting to suspect the lower ball joint but there seem no play when using a pry bar. All help advice appreciated, great forum.

Chris.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Default RE: Front Noise issue

Hi
Check the lower arms rear bushes. there is a hole in the bottom so you can put a lever bar in there. when you lever the lower arm forwards the bush should move with it, if not it's worn out. also lookto see ifthe bush is split.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 PM

Thanks Merlin, I'll give this a try and get back to you. I must say thatall the bushes looked inpretty good condition when I checked last except for the anti roll bar ones which were slightly wornand have been replaced. I had it up on the lift at mylocal garage yesterday and theycouldn't pin point the problemeither.I've tried various drivng styles and it seems to me that it'sroad wheel travelup/down that's involved. Absolutely quiet onsmooth roads and nobetter or worsewhen turning braking etc.The noise (but not the feeling for the driver) isalmost as if the suspensionhas been welded upand isn't able tokeep the road wheel on the ground so it's bouncing when it hits a bump.Sorry but that's the best description I can come up with.Other than thisit drives perfectly smoothly andstraight and stops just as well with no dramas!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM

You are not alone in your quest! I have been search for the last 20k miles for what might be causing this. It does feel like a ball joint but they are tight as can be when pried on. I do seem to notice some wear/play at the pivot point of the lower control arm where it mounts to the body. Is this a common wear area on these vans? It is a lot of work to replace the bushing? I.E. pressed in or just bolt on, remove entire lower arm or what? Thanks so much for any replies...

-Jerry

Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM

Ok. The mystery deepens. I've just spent the last few hours in the garage stripping it all down. Clamp up front strut, off with the caliper, disk, abs sensor, wheel bearing out,tarck rod off, remove the drive shaft undo the strut bolts so the bottom armcan swing freely with the wheel assembly attached only by the bottom ball joint. I didn't take the bottom ball joint apart as there seemed no need (and I didn't have a 22mm ring spanner to fit it and a socket fouls the wheel support).What I can say is there is no play in any of the lower arm bushes, front or rear. (Merlin's point to check) The bottom ball joint is also fine. The anti roll bar bushes had alreadybeen replaced as has the nearside sway bar stabiliser and that all looks fine. Clean everything up put it all back together and guess what. No noise... WTFIGO? I've only done a couple of miles test sodon't get too excited. One thing I did notice was the anti roll bar is fairly close to the lower support arm and as this distance is determined by the stabiliser bar I'm wondering if the new stabiliser bar I fitted some months back is actually the correct length. I'm sure I checked it before fitting and it's an original Chrysler part so it's unlikely but given the it only happens over bumps it's a thought.There is no sign of metal to metal contact. I'll post again if the noisecomes back and I may start to look at the strut in more detail as I'm desparately unhappy about no knowing just whatis causing this. Particularly if it present a danger. I'm thinking thestrut (internally could be a problem) It all looks fine from the outside, no problems with the mountings, no broken springs, all located properlyetc so if anyone knows how theyfunction mechanically and if it's possible for the piston to become detached internally I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance to all those contributing.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 AM

from your description above, I can't say for sure if you did one major thing (maybe you did, but my english is not good enough).

it is absolutely imperative that, when tightening anti roll bar bushes, the car MUST sit on it's wheels. so, wheels must be on, tha car must rest on them on the flat surface, and only then you go tightening bushes.
if you failed to do that, bushes will be worn out sooner and you might have some trouble with the car when cornering or on rough road.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks for comment (I wonder) Yes I did have weight on the wheels when replacing the anti roll bar bushes.

More news... I've now done about 30 miles and NO noise??? I've even driven it purposely over some rough ground to shake up the suspension and settle downall the springs etc....still NO noise. Still it's early days and I'll post again after a few hundreds of miles with a progress report. Anyone with any other thoughts I'm happy to hear them.There was definitely something making the noise but now, nothing. Weird. Thanks to all those contributing.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 PM

It's been a few days.... we need a report ;-)

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Sorry (Jeepandvan), wasn't ignoring you just had a little break from my laptop. Well the good news is it's still as quiet as the proverbial church mouse. No noise, no drama, and still no idea what it was. I've done about 250 miles now so that's got to be a fair road test.Sorry I can't be more help, if itstarts up againor there are any other issues that I feel may be associated with this issue then I will post again and continue this thread. For now, thanks to all those contributing.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 AM

My 2006 T&C was doing the same thing when we bought it in Feb. Took it back to dealer twice first they replaced the swaybar links that was not the problem. Second they found that the inner tierod ends were worn out at just 25,000 miles WOW!!!!!!!.They changed the rack and pinion and noise is gone. Hope this helps!!!

Quick Reply: Front Noise issue