Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Tyre wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Default Front Tyre wear

Hi

I have a 2005 Grand Voyager fitted with 215/65/16 tyres. They wear very quickly, especially on the outer edge. I have had the tracking checked and it is all OK. I get 12000 or less from them. Anyone got any sugestions as to what type of tyre will last the longest? Is it worth changing to 225/60/16's? Or how about using a tyre designed for a 4x4 (not the chunky off road type, a 4x4 street tyre)? They are stiffer in the sidewall, and I think the tyres are rolling arround a bit, its a heavy beast.

It was originally fitted with Goodyear Eagles, now got Khumo's on.

Any suggestions

Many thanks

Chris

Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 AM

Is it just the outside edge, or the inner edge as well? If so, your tyres may be slightly under-inflated- mine certainly wear evenly.

I used Nexen CP641 - they look set to last me easily over 20,000 miles on the front and are much cheaper. A bit more road noise, but barely noticeable. This is the cheapest I found:

http://www.rotationuk.com/gbu0-prods..._16_98_h_.html

Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM

My 2005 Grand Voyager wears the nearside front outer edge only in 12 to 15000 miles, the rest last much longer. The first tyre wore out in 10,000, dealer checked everything, second tyre lasted a bit longer, dealer checked everything again and came to conclusion, heavy vehicle, powersteering and roundabouts. Tyre fitter told me the same thing.
Always used goodyear eagles, be interested to hear what people think of other brands.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM

My 2004 Voyager wears tyres on the outer edge too.

The front, and to a lesser extent the rear tyres wear on the outer edge. I probably get 15,000 miles out of a set of front tyres.

I came to the conclusion that the tyres (having a fairly high profile), must be rolling under in the edges on fast cornering. I've started cornering more slowly, and have noticed the rate of wear on the edges has slowed down.

I suspect that putting 17 or 18 inch wheels with suitable lower profile tyres may cure the problem, at the expense of ride quality.

Personally I'll put up with the edge wear. I think it only shortens the life of the tyre by a couple of thousand miles on my car.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rodger
My 2005 Grand Voyager wears the nearside front outer edge only in 12 to 15000 miles, the rest last much longer. The first tyre wore out in 10,000, dealer checked everything, second tyre lasted a bit longer, dealer checked everything again and came to conclusion, heavy vehicle, powersteering and roundabouts. Tyre fitter told me the same thing.
Always used goodyear eagles, be interested to hear what people think of other brands.
As above - I think Nexen's are excellent, and cost me about £110 a pair fitted, as opposed to about £120 for a single Eagle.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Thanks Guys

I have been informed that Khumo's and Goodyear Eagles are a fairly soft tyre.

Going to try Falken ZE912 this time.

Suprised at the good reviews of the Nexen, given that it is a real cheepo.

I'll report back on the Falkens (hopefully in well over a year)!!

Regards

Chris

Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 AM

Our GV runs on Eagles and we seem to get about 20,000miles out of a pair of fronts. We tried Pirelli P6's and these didn't last as well.

the Nearside does wear quicker so I get the tracking checked and the fronts swapped every six months or so at my friendly tyre place and they seem to last well. They also did a pair of fronts for £180 all in - fitted, tracking, disposal...

Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM

How often are you rotating your tires? I acquired a set of Goodyear tires at Walmart and also got the lifetime balance and rotation. Each time I get an oil change I have them balance and rotate the tires. It has made the van's ride much smoother and the tires will last much longer.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 AM

I don't rotate them. Slight misunderstanding when I got it serviced, now have a set of Goodyear Eagles rather than the Falkens I was planning.

Got a nasty fright when I got the bill. New brakes all round, Battery, Link bars on the front suspension, Tyres, and a few other bits and pieces. Parts just over £500, + labour and tax, came to just under a grand in total. And it still needs a new thermostat fitting! Need a bit more overtime.

Chris (the skint)

Old 12-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by chrisunwin
And it still needs a new thermostat fitting! Need a bit more overtime.

Chris (the skint)
Just had a quote for the replacing the thermostat on my CRD - £400 !!!

It's frustrating as on many other cars, it's a £10 part and 10 minute job.

Quick Reply: Front Tyre wear