Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Glow plug mystery (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/glow-plug-mystery-13505/)

Supadaz 01-20-2011 11:25 AM

Glow plug mystery

Here's a mystery- i have a 2004 2.8 crd ltd xs and when i got it the thing wouldn't start after glow plug light went out unless i gave a little pedal so i got them changed and no different. Weird thing is that it starts if i ignore the plugs and just turn it over but obviously white smoke comes out for a short while due to unburnt fuel going thro, any ideas ?? Also any help on inop o/s window and sliding door-checked door wiring and seems intact, any input is greatly appreciated, cheers.:confused:

rodger 01-20-2011 12:11 PM

I have exactly the same problem....wait for the glow plug light to go out and reluctant to start. Chysler dealer has been unable to find the problem...so if you solve it please post back.
I also had white smoke on start up, I changed the realy and problem went away. Relay is mounted on the inside of the slam panel in front of the battery. On a 2005 CRD auto there are 4 balck relays and 1 grey relay (right hand end one) the glow plug relay is the grey one.
You can use a non Chysler relay, see thread below.
Chrysler relay is about £35 ish

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7357

Supadaz 01-23-2011 05:00 PM

Great, thanx v much i'll try relay as soon as i get it back from my mech who's doin yhe crank oil seal but dealer sold me wrong end one so marooned on ramp from thurs til correct 1 arrives monday

booke23 01-23-2011 05:25 PM

o/s window not working is almost certianly (assuming fuses are intact) the motor. The motors can be a weak point. If it is the motor you may be able to get it working for a while by banging the door just below the interior door handle while operating the switch.

I replaced the motor in my o/s window recently and the part cost about £95 from Chrysler which includes the motor and entire cable/regulator assembly. The job is'nt too difficult.

As for the door, I think there are a number of possible issues. A search of this forum should give you some ideas.

Gasman 01-23-2011 11:58 PM

If the sliding door is not working I would have put money on a broken harness wire, You said that you checked the cables? have you gained access to the harness and pulled each cable individually to see if it has a break?

From my limited experience it is normally the black wire that breaks, if it is do not repair at the point of break but replace a length thrpough the the harness connecting it at a fixed point that does not move when the door opens.

Supadaz 01-25-2011 06:07 AM

i only checked wires where expose along the track, is that where they break ??

Supadaz 01-30-2011 08:45 PM

changed relay with a durite one as per link and its still same !!!!!!!!

Supadaz 02-01-2011 05:05 AM

Window started working again after a bad tempered door slam coz now it won't start when its warm but does when stood over night and stone cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gettin pissed off with it big time. Had to squirt some start spray into air intake yest after stood for 5 mins, fuel filter getting changed again today is 1st step

rodger 02-01-2011 03:13 PM

Sorry relay didn't cure white smoke problem, I take it there's a lot of white/grey smoke and that you can smell it's diesel? Mine was really bad, clouds of it. I would check that there is 12v at the glow plug, I believe there is a fusible link to the relay. Hope this helps.

Supadaz 02-02-2011 04:47 PM

Thanx for help, yeah smoke was def white unburnt diesel smoke. I was thinking that i'm gonna have to go to dealer but its so expensive and if you say they weren't able to help you then it may be wasted cash--so frustrated coz i'm a cabbie and gotta keep it running all day and use spare remote to lock it when i need to get out 4 toilet or owt.