Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold start solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Default cold start solution

i have 2002 2.5crd grand voyager.been having probs on starting ever since it recently dropped in temp.only starts on 3rd go if enough power left in batt.yes i was using glow plugs.changed glow plugs,still same.changed relay perfect.anyone out there got same prob change relay 1st only cost £10.40 (durite part no:0-727-72 100amp or 70 amp) not same as original as in no weather skirt,i wrappedin plastic bag and secured with cable tie

Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Default RE: cold start solution

My 2.5TD gives me hassle first thing very morning. I have traced it down to black spot corrosion in the glow leads from the relay. In my case the cables will need replacing. To get around this I switch the car on off 5 - 6 times in the morning to cycle the glow plugs in order to get them hot enough. This works but still results in a slightly rough start. Car starts fine for the rest of the day.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Default RE: cold start solution

Need to see if the fuel pressure is getting up to spec, you could have a bad fuel lift pump is the pump noisy? Have you checked you are getting power to the glow plugs?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by roberts9163
i have 2002 2.5crd grand voyager.been having probs on starting ever since it recently dropped in temp.only starts on 3rd go if enough power left in batt.yes i was using glow plugs.changed glow plugs,still same.changed relay perfect.anyone out there got same prob change relay 1st only cost £10.40 (durite part no:0-727-72 100amp or 70 amp) not same as original as in no weather skirt,i wrappedin plastic bag and secured with cable tie
Read your post, notice you changed glow plugs, Mine is 2001 crd 2.5. I cant remove the glow plug that is behind the alternator, it wont clear the alternator to come out. I think i need to remove alternator to change the glow plug, ive tried to do this but how? where is the release tension pulley exactly? is that under the car, or access from hood? just cant work out how to get the alternator off so i can change glow plug? can you help me? ty... Paul. pauldmanning@blueyonder.co.uk

Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Default relay location 2000 2.5td

Originally Posted by glowplug
My 2.5TD gives me hassle first thing very morning. I have traced it down to black spot corrosion in the glow leads from the relay. In my case the cables will need replacing. To get around this I switch the car on off 5 - 6 times in the morning to cycle the glow plugs in order to get them hot enough. This works but still results in a slightly rough start. Car starts fine for the rest of the day.

hi can you tell me exact location of relays as only 2 glowplugs getting volts thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM

I know on a 2002 2.5 they are on the inside of the slam panel, just in front of the battery. There should be two grey relays for the glowplugs, the black ones are for the radiator fans. I think there are 3 black relays and 2 grey all in a row.

Please don't take this reply as totally accurate, its all from memory! I answered since no one else had.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Unhappy Chrysler grand voyager cold start

Hi I have a 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8crd
It hates cold weather I had a new set of glow plugs in December last year but I still have start problems. It has white smoke on the first start of the day and is then fine in warm weather. In the cold unless I trickle charge the battery every week it struggles to start. If I jump it it starts straight away.
Is this the glow plug relay? I am fed up taking it to garage to be told they don't know or that I need to pay £200 for a chrysler diagnostic.
The car is ok in normal weather it's just when it starts to get cold!

any ideas please!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
kkc
Default probably need a new battery...!

Originally Posted by MandyBing
.... In the cold unless I trickle charge the battery every week it struggles to start. If I jump it it starts straight away.....

any ideas please!
If when you jumpstart it starts fine, the problem is likely to be a worn out battery. I had the same issues couple of years ago. New battery fixed the problem. Just be sure to get the right type of battery - gel type that can handle the large startup current needed.

The battery I bought is a Varta Silver Dynamic E44, “577 400 078”. It is rated at 77Ah, 780 (EN)A and measures 278mm long, 190mm high, 175 mm wide. Works perfect.

If you have more battery space than I do, then go for a bigger battery.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by glowplug
can you please tell me where you got one from please as I'm feed up with jumping off the car by my van every day

Old 11-28-2017, 04:06 AM
kkc

if you cycle so many times, before starting the engine, you will wear out your battery. glow plugs pull a massive amount of charge. normally carbon covered glow plugs will not be a problem leading to hard start. seek other causes.

I got my battery from ebay or amazon in Germany... had a friend drive it over as shipping batteries is a big no-no apparently. if you are in the uk, i think you will need to find a uk supplier. any well known gel based battery will do.

incidentally, the battery i mentioned lasted about nine years. it's time for a new one soon.