Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GV 2.8 CRD 2005 Model Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Question GV 2.8 CRD 2005 Model Fuel Filter Change

Hi guys.... I am wondering if anyone can give me some information on changing the fuel filter on this model of car. I have looked under the bonnet and I can see a canister type thing with a black plunger on it in between the engine and radiator. I presume this is the fuel filter and the black plunger is for priming after replacement. Firstly.. the canister type thing I see.. is this the actual fuel filter or is this some sort of housing, is the fuel filter inside this canister? also is this the only fuel filter on this car?... after replacement when I pump the primer is there anything I need to undo to let the air out? if so where is it? and finally can anyone post an ebay link to the right filter I need to do this job? also do I need any special tools or is it a case of just spinning the old filter off and spinning a new one back on and do I need to fill up the new filter with diesel before installing. Your help on this is much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Nick

Last edited by Nick1981-1; 01-27-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Hi
On my 2005 2.8 CRD GV it's easy to do. Best done from underneath so remove the under tray first.
1.Unplug the wiring loom connected to the bottom of the fuel filter.
2. The fuel filter is the cannister you can see, its not a casing with the filter inside.
3. Undo the fuel drain at the bottom and catch the diesel.
4. Unscrew the filter, I usually remove a bracket/clamp that hold the steering pump pipework so i can get a strap wrench on t.
5. Remove the sensor from bottom of old filter and transfer to the new one. New filter probably has just a white plastic drain plug on it. I usually swop the rubber seal over as well.
6. Make sure the "O" ring from the old filter has come away with the filter or you end up with 2 "O" rings in there!
7. Screw new filter on (By hand only) just make sure its done up firmly.
8. To bleed the system, attach a length of pipe to the bleed nipple (11mm spanner needed) and pump the primer pump that you found until only fuel comes out. I think the bleed nipple is to the left/top of the filter housing ie opposite side to the primer pump.

Sometime a little tricky to open the bleed nipple because space is limited, I think I usually remove the 3 bolts and move the steering pump resovoir over to get better access, oh...and take the enginge top cover off.

Rodger

Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by rodger
Hi
On my 2005 2.8 CRD GV it's easy to do. Best done from underneath so remove the under tray first.
1.Unplug the wiring loom connected to the bottom of the fuel filter.
2. The fuel filter is the cannister you can see, its not a casing with the filter inside.
3. Undo the fuel drain at the bottom and catch the diesel.
4. Unscrew the filter, I usually remove a bracket/clamp that hold the steering pump pipework so i can get a strap wrench on t.
5. Remove the sensor from bottom of old filter and transfer to the new one. New filter probably has just a white plastic drain plug on it. I usually swop the rubber seal over as well.
6. Make sure the "O" ring from the old filter has come away with the filter or you end up with 2 "O" rings in there!
7. Screw new filter on (By hand only) just make sure its done up firmly.
8. To bleed the system, attach a length of pipe to the bleed nipple (11mm spanner needed) and pump the primer pump that you found until only fuel comes out. I think the bleed nipple is to the left/top of the filter housing ie opposite side to the primer pump.

Sometime a little tricky to open the bleed nipple because space is limited, I think I usually remove the 3 bolts and move the steering pump resovoir over to get better access, oh...and take the enginge top cover off.

Rodger
So basically a job requiring a set of ramps?