Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater ducts closing on auto climate control

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Default Heater ducts closing on auto climate control

Hi, I have a strange problem with the auto climate control system on my Grand Voyager (Town and Country?) 2.8CRD.
In cold weather the heating is fine for a while after start up, then after about half an hour into the journey the air ducts close the air flow off completely. The fan is still running, and a small modicum of heat can be felt, but no air flow so the car gets cold. You can even manually turn the fan right up to max and still only a trickle or air flow can be felt. After a while, say two hours of this, the auxiliary heater can come back on and the air ducts will re-open and warm the car.
It makes no difference, auto or manual settings. There must be an engine condition or sensor or wire condition that is telling the control system to close the ducts!
Any ideas out there?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Default RE: Heater ducts closing on auto climate control

Hi Where do you have the direction control set to? If set to screen it could be the air con evaporator freezing up and blocks of the air with ice.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 PM

Hi Merlin, Thanks.
Last long journey I did I gave up fiddling with different positions and just left it all on auto, so it usually chooses a mix of screen but mostly foot air. The flow slowed down as usual, then about an hour later the flow came back again, this time with the auxilliary heater comming on with it. Before then I tried every setting possibel and combination of auto , manual, screen air round the dial to all the others. No difference made. I shall take a look for ice, but where?
Any other suggestions?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Hi
Drop the pollen filter out and look up. this will also tell you if the fault is before or after the blower.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 AM

Hi,
I think I have tested and proven the theory about icing up inside the system.
Yesterday I did a 700 mile round trip. 350 miles there with the system set to auto, 4 degrees outside temp, and the usual failure of the air flow and cooling off inside the car ensued. Sswitched off the system, switched it back on an hour later and in came the heat again for about 15mins. Return journey I just set it to manual, pressed "Air Con button twice to switch it off and it was toasted toes all the way home!
Something is making the air con work overtime, what could do that?
Tarquin