Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Banned
Default Heater problems

We have just purchased a 1998 Grand Voyager and what a great car - our 5 children are so comfy.

There appears to be a problem with the heating system though.

It takes about half an hour for the vehicle to get warm and the front footwell is always cold withno air comming out of the vents either side of the front lower console - anyhelp would be apreciated.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Default RE: Heater problems

Once everything DOES warm up, does the heat function as expected, with the exception you mentioned? If so, then.....

You don't mention your climate or driving conditions, but assuming they're not sub-zero (deg F) temperatures and you're not just sitting in the van idling, waiting for it to warm up, then my first stab at figuring out why it takes so long to heat up would be to check for a stuck thermostat. If it's stuck open, then you'll be circulating cold engine coolant through a cold engine, keeping it cold for longer.

I'm not sure about your other problem.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

do this it will recal your doors and if u are have luck on your side u will have heat and the air flowing where it needs to be going. If not u will have codes for what door is stuck or what ever. I live in the ATL area if u need work done i can do it just let me know.
Kevin
COOLDOWN TEST ENTRY TO INITIATE TESTS: [ul][*]Set Blower motor ON HIGH[*]Set Mode position to Panel[*]Open all A/C outlets
Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped)[*]Depress WASH and A/C simultaneously for 5 Seconds [/ul] NOTE: Prior to start of test, If the evaporator is already cold, the system will fail test. To correct, operate system with A/C OFF and the blower motor ON high for three minutes prior to starting test. RESULTS: [ul][*]All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds
Cooldown Test is running when A/C and RECIRC. are alternately flashing. If A/C and RECIRC. are flashing simultaneously, Cooldown has failed. [/ul]

Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

Thank you both - will check the thermostat.

Did the tests and all appears okay as the flashing LED's eventually went off.

However problem still remains.

Should you be able to feel air blowing through the lower air vents in the cockpit footwells?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

if u have the setting on the floor yes on BI level then more air will be out the top half then floor.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

At a loss - took it out for half an hour and though the temperature gauge showed normal the interior of the car was not very warm and very little air being blown through the air vents

Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

u have low coolant more then likely a leaking water pump or if u live upstate then the heater pipes could be runsty and leaking. Look under the van on the passanger side the water pump is near the back half look for green stains. And if there is no such leak or low coolant then have the van warm and touch the 2 pipes that go into the firewall.check to see if they are hot or not both should be hot.THEN if all of that checks out u have either bad motors or doors inside the dash. Like I said if u live in the atl area or near I am level 4 AC/Heat and Electrical.
Kevin

Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

Thanks Kevin - unfortunatley I live in th UK - bit far for you.

Will check it out and advise you as to the results

Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Scruffy:
the temperature gauge showed normal
CHRYSLER TECH
u have low coolant more then likely a leaking water pump or if u live upstate then the heater pipes could be runsty and leaking
If he had low coolant, wouldn't the temperature gauge show higher than normal?? What happens if the heater pipes (goingto the rear)take a dump? I was under the impression that it would spew out all of the engine coolant, but perhaps engine coolant only flows that direction when the rear heat is enabled?? I just noticed yestarday that my heater pipes*are rusted and I do NOT want those going out while my wife & kids are driving around town.What is the cost of getting those pipes from the dealer (will install myself along with some other maintenance items happening behind the intake plenum)? I was guessing something on the order of $125+. I'll make sure I'm sitting down when I get the quote [sm=boohoo.gif]

*The first set ofones starting at the engine compartment and heading toward the rear (1997 T&C LXi).

Chad

Old 01-31-2007, 06:40 AM
Banned

The heater now appears to be working okay (getting hot) however no air at all is blowing out of the lower front footwell air vents (it passed the cool down test).

Is there another test I can do or check that the air vents are opening and closing etc.

Thanks

Update:-

Did a calibration test and the results are:-

The rear wiper led flashes once then the intermitant rear wash led flashes 5 times then the rear wiper led flashes once then the intermitant rear wash led flashes 6 times and then the entire sequence repeats intself forever...

Have I got a problem?

Quick Reply: Heater problems