Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello Just bought a 2008 Town and Country Touring edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Default Hello Just bought a 2008 Town and Country Touring edition

So we just picked up a used 2008 Town and Country Touring edition we are hoping we got a good deal as we kinda bought without much research. $20,000 it is fully loaded with Nav, dual TVs and DVDs, leather, swiveling seats, table and so on. It only had 13,700 miles on it.

I have a few questions, I was hoping some of you existing members might be able to help me with.

1. Do the swiveling seats stow like the regular stow n go seats? I kinda of tried it and could not figure out how to lift the seat into the compartment. I had the top folded down, could not find the switch in the back so I figured maybe the swiveling ones do not stow.

2. Do you have to have Sirius active in order for the Navigation portion of the radio to work? At the moment, we are not getting any NAV maps. It says there is no map information for our area which I know is an error. Did not show any info between the dealership in San Antonio all the way to here in Austin. All other parts of the radio seem to work. We don't want Sirius because we don't like it, used them for over 6 years and cancelled after the merger.

I think that is it, any other cool things these VANs do that are no obvious? This is our first minivan, so still trying to get used to the fact we are now owners of a minivan, never thought that would be the case, lol.

Also, never owned a Chrysler/Dodge, so any info on where to get some good deals on accessories or if you know of must have accessories for this Van.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 PM

There should have been an owners manual with the car. That will answer most of your questions, and a lot more. If you didn't get one, you can probably find one at chrysler.com.
Spend some time reading through it. It's worth the effort.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly the manual was missing. The dealership is trying to get it for me. I did download all the manuals from the Chrysler site and read through them all. It has so much info, yet it was vauge in many areas since it covers every trim level breifly (Always with the "If Equipped" lol). I just need to read the seat portion again, but was just looking for a quick yes or no if it was possible.

As for the Navigation issue, I downloaded the info for the My Gig with Navigation, and that was also extremely vauge, and did not offer much help either as far as the troubleshooting I needed.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 PM

The swivels do not sto and you may have to set the NAV to your home state if it is not already set. There should be a setup menu. Does it have a map disc? Maybe this is the problem?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 AM

Ahhh, see i figured they did not stow, because I sware the directions said there was a strap to pull in the back of the seat that would disengage the seat and I could not find one. The base seemed to bulky to fit in there anyways.

As for the Navigation, that was what I was thinking as well, that there needed to be a disc, but in none of the manuals refrence a disc, I assumed since it had a harddrive the info was kept on the hard drive not a disc. My F150's ford NAV unit uses a disc, but it has a seprate slot for it, this one only had one slot. So I am assuming if you are using the NAV with the disc it needs you cannot listen to a CD unless you have downloaded the CD to your hard drive? So can someone confirm that a disc needs to be in the system for the NAV to work?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:53 PM

Go to ebaymotors.com and look up chrysler navigation. They usually have chrysler oem navigation books for sale. Check and see if you have the rer radio, its posted on the right bottom, if you do then you have a hard drive. This indicates that the navigation system is downloaded to the hard drive. You may need to purchase the latest navigation disk for download. Hope this helps.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:56 PM

Ok, so I have some new issues, we took the van to the dealership to have it checked out. It seems that the van did not originally come with the headunit that is currently installed. They ran the vin number and it says the van did not come with a nav head unit. The reason it is not working is that it is missing the antenna wire, I also just realized the u-connect does not work properly so I am assuming it is missing some wires for that as well. The u-connect pairs with our phone, and you can hear it making the call and the person answers but they can't hear you. So that leads me to believe the mic might not have been installed. So my question is, has anyone installed a nav headunit with u-connect and had it successfully work with all options in a van that did not originally come with it? I need to know if it is just a matter of getting the correct wires or plugs or if it is not possible. We are now thinking of returning the vehicle for false advertising. They listed it had Nav and when we told them that it did not seem to work after test driving they told us not to worry that it was under warranty and that the dealership could fix it. That is turning out not to be the case, sucks!!

FYI the radio does say RER, what does that mean?

Last edited by efiguero; 07-14-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

rer is the radio code for what type of radio it is.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Hi
I have upgraded this system with no problems. The dealer that upgraded it should have added the sales codes to the VIN on dealer connect. Did it have u-connect as standard (i.e it has the u-connect mirror).

Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Hi
I have upgraded this system with no problems. The dealer that upgraded it should have added the sales codes to the VIN on dealer connect. Did it have u-connect as standard (i.e it has the u-connect mirror).
I assumed it did but after doing some research I don't think that was the case as the mirror does not have anything on it. After searching the forum I found a link to an Ebay seller, Mr CD 1 or something like that and I think he has what I need. I think all I need is the GPS antenna and the u-connect mic to get the all the features up and running. I found both on Ebay, anyone know where the antenna is mounted if it is on the roof or in the dash somewhere? I already have to antenna deals on the roof, one in the front above the windshield and another in the back of the car. From research, one is for the SATV and the other is for SAT radio I think? I know in my ford the GPS antenna did not need to be installed on the roof I am hoping that is the same case as I am sure the installation would get a bit expensive. Again any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for the posts so far.

Last edited by efiguero; 07-15-2009 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Hello Just bought a 2008 Town and Country Touring edition