Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with factory tow package.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Default Help with factory tow package.

So I made the mistake of contacting Chrysler instead of coming here first. I've gotten three different answers from Chrysler and don't believe any of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have a 2015 T&C and are thinking of towing a 2500 lb. camper. It has factory tow which has the 7 pin wiring connector. However, there is no brake controlle from the factory (I think). Do I have to add an external brake controller? Aftermarket? Plug and play or splicing wires? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 01-16-2016, 02:53 PM

What do you mean by brake controlle, do you mean brake light wiring.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
What do you mean by brake controlle, do you mean brake light wiring.
Factory brake light wiring is installed. I can run a four pin adapter off the factory seven pin connector and it works fine. There is no trailer brake though. I need to power the trailers brakes

Old 01-16-2016, 03:18 PM

Powering the trailor brakes is a complicated issue involving speed, weight of trailor and possibly ABS sensors on the trailor axles. Normal trailors have overrun hydraulic couplings that can control most things as when the car slows the coupling pushes back and operates either a brake wire system like car handbrake on trailor, or hydraulic master cylinder direct to trailor brake drums/discs. So to operate it electrically may require a module/computer in the trailor.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:08 PM

The camper in question has electric brakes. I need to power them with the van. I'm trying to find out if I need an external controller and if anyone has added an aftermarket controller to their van. Dodge trucks/SUVs etc have them built in. I've been told the vans do not. Chrysler does not make a controller per Chrysler. I need to know how to power the brakes with my existing equipment

Old 01-17-2016, 05:12 AM

Any controller like this would probably be on the coupling then where the compressing coupling would give variable brake pressures. Have a looksee at the one you want and connect it safely.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:07 PM

hey jrod... lots of info on you tube that might help you... otherwise have you gone to trailer dealer or local shop that installs trailer hitches ? a lot of these places can help out.. at least, around my neighborhood they can.. good luck

Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 AM

Hi woodthumb, I think a brake controller was an option but I'm not 100% sure.

Therefore I'd say yes you do need one if the trailer only has electric brakes because although the T&C have a braked tow limit of around 3600 pounds, unbraked I'd say 2500 Ibs would be pushing things a little.

However, my first stop would be a dedicated trailer outlet, these days there are so many plug and play devices for newer vehicles I'd be surprised if there wasn't something out there already just to plug and go. However if not they are not overly difficult to install if you have a basic understanding of vehicle electrics.

However, I'd avoid the ones out there for around the $50 mark. They are basic at best and honestly not that good if you're hitting a hilly area. But you can find good ones from around $100 or so!

Wiring from the in-cab controller unit is as follows:

Blue wire: goes to the blue on brake controller connection the van's 7 pin!
Red: goes to your stop lights!
White: goes to ground!
Black: which is usually a heavier gauge, goes to your battery through a 20amp reset breaker!

Thats it basically.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've checked with the local trailer places and they are convinced it's an easy add on. I'm Leary of anything aftermarketvespeciallyvas it pertains to warranty by a plug and play option may be what the dr. ordered. I'll check on YouTube as well. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-22-2016, 04:54 AM

Yeah protecting warranties can be problematic however, I'm sure a professional place should be able to help you out on that side!

Quick Reply: Help with factory tow package.