Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Help, Gearbox oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Default Help, Gearbox oil change

Hi, Can someone please help, I have a Chrylser Voyager 2.5TD 1999 and took it to get a gearbox oil change but the garage said they could not do it as there is no drain plug, if there`s no drain plug how on earth do you change the oil??? I`m of to Cornwall next weekend which is 300 miles pulling a caravan so I would like to get it changed before I go.

PS its a manual

Thanks for any advice

Pete

Last edited by petewxm; 07-18-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:15 AM

A manual? I 'm not sure, the auto has a sump that you remove to get the oil out & change the filter.
i'll have a look in my workshop manual & get back to you.
I wouldn't worry about it too much if you do have to tow with it , its the autos that need regular oil changes as they use the oil to drive the car, thus it gets hot.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 AM

Hi.
I've just looked it says there IS a drain plug , looks like its at the lowest part of the gearbox. Its an allen key type.
Also fill plug on the end cover. Use 5w-30 engine oil, it should need 2.2 litres.
I don't know how to e-mail you just part of the PDF I have , its 1200 pages so too big to send the whole thing i think.
Gareth

Old 07-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Hi Gareth,
Thanks for the info, I`ve just sent you a pm

Thanks

Pete

Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 AM

anyone got any pics or drawings of the location, so I can show the garage?

Thanks

Pete

Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Hi Pete Check your e-mail.
Sorry no joy with pics.
I could print & post if you are happy to send me your home address or work address as you've told me you are going on holiday now!!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Hi Gareth,
thanks for trying, I`ve just been under the car, sorry dark photos no flash on my phone, is the first pic of the drainplug? and the seconded pic of the where you fill it up? (It has a rubber bung in it?)

Thanks for all your help

Pete

Last edited by petewxm; 07-18-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: photos
Old 07-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Those look like what you are after, TBH its tricky to get a perception of where what we think is the drain plug is on your car, but if its low down on the 'box its worth a crack. Just take care that 1000 clock springs & ball bearings don't come flying out ! LOL

The drain bung looks quite likely, i'd wip it out & stick my finger in, if its up to the level & the oil doesn't smell 'burnt' I'd recon its OK.

Your user mame? WXM isn't Wreham is it? I'm only down the road in Barmouth.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Yeah m8, just outside Wrexham in a place called Rhosllanerchrugog, I`ve been to Barmouth a lot of times, a lovely place. Thanks for all the advice.

Just checked the oil level in the engine after the garage changed it yesterday and the idiots have over filled it, looks like I`ll be poping there tomorrow to get them to drain some out. and while I`m there I`ll point out the gearbox drain plug, the one that they said didn`t exsit. Think its time to find a better garage.

The only reason I want the gearbox oil changed is that you hear all the horror stories on here of gearboxes failing and that the oil needs changing every 20k miles, I`ve done 15k in the car since I`ve had it and dont know what the last time it was changed

Thanks

Pete

Quick Reply: Help, Gearbox oil change